BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
My articles have been erased!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luv_bug

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: My articles have been erased! Reply with quote

I noticed that at least two of articles are gone. The previews are there, but when readers click on "more," there's just a blank page. I got a call from my boss (I blog as part of a program for work) about it, and sure enough, the articles were erased.

Does anybody know how to retrieve that information?
luv_bug

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: more missing articles Reply with quote

This is so weird. I know that the articles weren't missing before, because 1. I checked them after publishing and 2. I had people read them. Now I have four articles missing, including two of my most important work-related posts.

I tried seeing if I could cut and paste from Google's cache, but that doesn't turn up anything either.

I'd be really grateful if someone could give me a suggestion.
luv_bug

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Oh, yeah... Reply with quote

Here's the blog address so you can see what I'm talking about:

urbanreadingteacher.blogharbor.com

I'm concerned about the following articles:

-Confession
-I Read it but I Don't Get It
-AMP Day 1
-AMP Day 2

Even if you can't retreive any of the information, I'd appreciate any tips to keep this from happening again.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh, yeah... Reply with quote

Does anybody know how to retrieve that information?

We have no way of retrieving previous posts that you might have deleted. My only suggestion in this case would be to check Google's cache, which you note that you have already tried. We do have an Export feature which allows you to save an XML file containing your blog's posts, but if you had not previously created an export file and saved it that won't help.

How could you have lost the article body content? My best guess is that you had the Rich Text Editor enabled and you were opening up the article to make some quick changes. You clicked the article to open it up in an Edit Article page, clicked a button to make some change, and then clicked Save before the article was fully loaded into the Rich Text Editor. This is the only scenario I have seen which would case an article body to disappear.

I see you now have the Rich Text Editor disabled. Had you been using the Rich Text Editor before? Any chance you made some posts with it and went back and quickly changed some options on a previously posted article?
luv_bug

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Rich Text Reply with quote

I can't use the Rich Text, because it doesn't work for some reason on my mac. That's why I'm confused as to why this would have happened. I've never used the Rich Text Format--in fact, it wouldn't let me post anything until I disabled it.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rich Text Reply with quote

If you're on Mac, were you using Safari? That could be the culprit. If you take a look at the welcome mail you received when you signed up for your trial, you'll see this:

Please note that while your users will have no difficulties reading
your blog using Apple's Safari browser, we do not fully support the
Safari browser for authoring your blog. We recommend the Firefox
browser for maximum compatibility with our control panel editor. See
this page for more information:

http://www.blogharbor.com/macbrowsers

If you were editing your articles with Safari, that may have caused your problem. You'll need to administer your blog with Firefox.
luv_bug

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess that's it. Thanks for the advice. It's a little frustrating that this is happening, but that's not your fault.

I don't know much about how my Internet is set up, but I guess it's time to find out.
lenoir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the same problem. Two articles missing completely and now I'm wondering how many others are gone. I had not touched them after the initial posting.

I do have a backup from a while back. What to do with it?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the same problem. Two articles missing completely and now I'm wondering how many others are gone. I had not touched them after the initial posting.

Are you saying that the articles are missing from your blog entirely, or that the article exists but the article body itself is blank?

If it is the former, do you use the Rich Text Editor and have you edited your blog articles recently? One thing we see is that folks want to edit their article to make a quick change, like to uncheck the allow trackbacks button, then click Save very shortly after opening the article to edit it. Since it takes some time for the Rich Text Editor to load up and display the article body, if you do this too fast the RTE might not load the article body properly and you end up saving the article without the original article body. The only suggestion here would be to make sure that you see the RTE load up and display the article body before clicking Save; don't try to open an article to edit it and click Save in rapid succession.

I do have a backup from a while back. What to do with it?

Try searching for your article in Google to see if Google has it in its cache. If not, send your export file to our support address and let us know what article you are looking to replace and we'll put it back for you.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: