BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Max Width on Comments Form

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Max Width on Comments Form Reply with quote

I should say Hey John to start these...

Anyway, I'm using a content width of 600px but when somebody trys to log in to the comments form and they use the wrong password, etc. it puts that "authentication failed" to the right of whatever field.

Problem is that bumps the content out to the right, and then my logo doesn't fit anymore, etc.

Okay, long story even longer, is there a way to set the width of the comment form? I sure can't find it.

Thanks.
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I figured it out. You have to resize the input and checkbox to keep the form size down.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle - Did you do this through CSS? What class did you change? There are probably a few different ways to skin this particular cat, I would be interested in hearing how you went about it.
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I went through the main style. I've sort of rigged some of this stuff where the component couldn't be accessed, or if I didn't know how to access the component.

I set the input and checkbox sizes globally to be smaller than normal. It's pretty much the only thing I could figure out to do. The code looks like this:

input { width:130px; }
.checkbox { width:20px; }

And that worked for the "authentication failed" resize problem. An unfortunate side effect was that it resized the search box, and made the search box and "go" button the same width. So I had to insert this bit of code:

.componentSearch input{
width:125px;
}

.componentSearch input.buttonWhite{
width:40px;
}

And that was my solution. It worked great, but it seems more like spackle than metal, if you know what I mean..haha.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle - Good tips, thanks for sharing. At some point we may be able to expose the actual comment box for customization, until then this is a nice workaround.
heidigoseek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Comment Form Sizing Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing me here John but I'm not sure that this is the exact problem that I'm having. My issue isn't really with the input boxes, I believe these are sized fine. I think my problem has to do with one or both of these things:

Both of these things are being cut off (when looking in Firefox, in IE my columns are being pushed out causing excessive space around my banner).

I noticed in the HTML that the text area for the comments are set to a max width of 400px. My column is 400px so it needs to be smaller than this. Also in the HTML the checkbox line that I referred to above is set to "nowrap". I'm just assuming that changing these would allow me the results that I need. If it's not possible to change these at this point then I'm ok with changing my column sizes back, I just wanted to have my entire content area fit within 800px.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Comment Form Sizing Reply with quote

Unfortunately the way the the comment box is written (as a 'hard coded' span rather than abstracted as a class so that you can simply modify it as part of your main CSS stylesheet) does not allow you to modify the size of that box.

We'll add this to the list of requests and hope we can get this modified for you in a future release.

In the meantime, you might be able to get around some of these things by making your own class and modifying this part of the article template:

Code:
<div style="margin:25px 0;">
{{include name="post_comment_inline.html"}}
</div>

Maybe you could change it to something like this:

Code:
<div style="margin:25px 0;" class="customPostCommentsArea">
{{include name="post_comment_inline.html"}}
</div>

Then go to your style template, and add some new classes:

Code:
.customPostCommentsArea {
}
.customPostCommentsArea td {
}
.customPostCommentsArea textarea {
}

stuff like that... It may allow you to override some of the elements, though I think the 400px width is not going to go away...
heidigoseek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this doesn't seem to be working either, adding the custom element doesn't do much since the inline styles that I can't change are overriding anything that I could add myself.

Thanks for your help though! It won't be too hard to change my column width back, at least I know what my column limitations are with my site.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we tried. Crying or Very sad Hopefully in the future we'll be able to get some changes made to those templates which will make it easier to customize those elements.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: