BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Trackback Spam: Very fed up!
Goto page Previous  1, 2 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew what it was that attracts him to my blog

Just as an FYI, spammers use automated means to find blogs and spam them. The only thing that you need to attract a blog spammer is a blog. It has nothing to do with your content.

How do spammers find blogs? It's too easy. We all use the "ping" system to tell Technorati and Weblogs.com about our updates. Spammers just watch those services for new victims. So easy. Sad
jlwaltherjr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Tracback Spam Reply with quote

I've had trackback spam for a couple of years, now. It hasn't been too bad. Lately, though, I'm receiving the things at clips of 35 and 40 at a time. It goes in spurts. For 4 or 5-days out of the week, I receive a total of about 12. Then for the other 3 to 4-days they come at me hot and heavy. I don't even look at them anymore. As soon as I receive the email moderation notice, I select them all and hit delete and block. I only post once a week because of the nature of my work and contractual obligations.

So please include me on any list requesting a general kill button for ALL trackbacks.

Joe Walther
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tracback Spam Reply with quote

If you don't receive any legit trackbacks or comments, then the solution described earlier in this thread accomplishes the practical aspect of what you are looking for.
des

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This *is* a long-running thread. Could we keep it going till late July for a record? I assume one year would be a record. Smile

And for the record, I've been frustrated in the past with delete and block - page would hang until I got sick of waiting. For yonks now I've just used Delete.

One thing I noticed in this week's batch of trackback spam is that the spammers are now going for personal names that look legit - but when you click on the trackback it turns out to be the old holdems and enhancers etc. So now I just do a quick scan to see if there is a name I recognise. May mean I lose some legit trackbacks but the alternative is too time-consuming to contemplate.
Author, 7 Step Business Blog
http://www.7stepbusinessblog.com
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This *is* a long-running thread. Could we keep it going till late July for a record? I assume one year would be a record.

I can't imagine trackback spam will ever go away (at least until bloggers accept that trackback is a flawed protocol and either give up on the hope that it will ever be anything but a source of frustration or create a new protocol) so I can't imagine this thread will ever go away. As long as bloggers cling to the hope that trackback is a viable protocol, they will be frustrated by trackback spammers.

And for the record, I've been frustrated in the past with delete and block - page would hang until I got sick of waiting. For yonks now I've just used Delete.

I haven't heard that before, and I just went to your blog and did a delete and block for 2 trackback spams and there was no issue. Maybe this is an issue during more active periods, so just thinking out loud, I wonder if it's related to the amount of urls in your firewall, currently more than 2200.

One thing I am suggesting these days is to periodically clear out your firewall list. Older spam urls are rarely seen again and don't do much good in your list, it's only the most recent additions that ever have any effect anyway.

That firewall list doesn't have a "select all" box, but if you are using Firefox, the Check All extension is a must-have, allowing you to check all checkboxes when a web site (like our control panel) wasn't thoughtful enough to give you that option. Or send a support request, I'll clear your list out for you.
cheshirecatz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: trackback spam Reply with quote

Yes, the trackback spam is driving me nuts too! Twisted Evil And that Leri_Weiner or what that is annoyed me for months and finally seems to have disappeared, thank goodness.

I can't see that the trackback feature serves any useful purpose at all. I don't even bother to see if a TB is legitimate or not any more. I just delete them all so the feature is a waste of time for me. I would love to see it removed entirely from BH. PLEASE??????
Sad
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: trackback spam Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, we will not be able to remove this feature as there are users of our system that actually make use of this capability. Please follow the guidelines here for limiting your exposure to trackback spam.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: