BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Welcome Text Disappears

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kangenwater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Welcome Text Disappears Reply with quote

I can view the welcome text I have written at the top of my blog, above the title inside the template, but on my husband's pc it is gone. It is also gone on my son's, so I know something is wrong.

I would like that message to be there all the time. What's up with that?

Thanks
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome Text Disappears Reply with quote

What is your blog address? It's really not possible for us to give you any sort of answer without seeing your blog, you know. Wink
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcome Text Disappears Reply with quote

And then when you tell us what blog to look at, tell us these three things in as much detail as you possibly can:
  • Here's what I did
  • Here's what I thought would happen
  • Here's what happened instead
kangenwater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John,

Oops, and duh...that would have helped huh? Kind of obvious to give you the address. www.kangenworldteam.com

Here is what I did: I went to Components and clicked "edit" on Welcome Text, then added my message which shows at the top of my blog. If for some reason you cannot see it, please let me know and perhaps we can work something out privately so I can give you my login, so you can act as administrator (me) if that's the only way to make the message appear.

Here is what happened: The welcome text does not show up on other computers.

If you need other info, let me know.
Thanks for the prompt help. I am leading a group of people, and this is a communication source for them, so I'd like to get the welcome message showing up. We just announced the blog tonight at a meeting.

Laura
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Welcome component will only be shown to users who have authenticated, or logged in, to the blog. So if you are logged in, you will see the component, if you are not you won't.

If you want to show something to all visitors regardless of whether they have authenticated, then you should create your own custom component.
kangenwater

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me how to do that? Because I thought I had created a custom component already in the Components section. I clicked customize, then welcome text etc. What am I missing here?

Thanks
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you tell me how to do that? Because I thought I had created a custom component already in the Components section. I clicked customize, then welcome text etc. What am I missing here?Thanks

What you are apparently missing is the fact that if you create a custom component by customizing an existing system component, your custom version of that component will behave as the default version of that component does.

So by clicking Customize in the Welcome Text row on the list of System Components, you created your own customized version of the Welcome Text component. Just like the default version, it will only be displayed to someone who has logged in.

Follow the instructions here in the top section labeled To create a custom component.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: