BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Blog Page Stretched Far to the Right.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil arnold

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Blog Page Stretched Far to the Right. Reply with quote

My blog has always fit completely on the screen -- no scrolling to the right needed. A few days ago I noticed that it is now stretched far to the right. To read my articles you now have to scroll right, so far in fact that you then have to scroll back to the left to read the beginning of the next line. To read my blog, you have to scroll back and forth for every line. This is horrible. No reader wants that hassle.

Did I do something by mistake that caused this? Is there a way to fix it? I will sure appreciate any help. Thank you, Phil Arnold www.elvisblog.net
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Blog Page Stretched Far to the Right. Reply with quote

I'm not seeing this... Your blog fits fine on a 1024*768 screen size. DId you add a large image to your page and later remove it?
phil arnold

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John: Thanks for ansewring me on a Sunday. You bring up two points. How do I check to see if my screen size is 1024 x 768? This may not be the answer, because I am not having this problem viewing any of my favotite websites, just my blog.

You also asked about posting a large picture in an article. On 10/28 I did post my first article with multiple pictures. There were seventeen of them, and most were alligned in a horizontal rows of three small pictures seperating paragraphs of text. I spreaded the three photos out to fill the left-to-right space available in the box for posting. After posting, I checked the article and noticed the text had realligned to fill up the width available on my monitor (as usual). However, the three photos didn't move and now were filling up just a portion of the viewing width. I wondered if there was a way to add additional space between them and shift the center and right ones over to the right. When I did this in the posting box (on just one row of pictures), the right picture would do a carriage return to the the next line (putting it below the other two pictures). But, when I went to view the blog article, the three pictures were stretched out to the right as I wanted. I didn't do this to any other rows of pictures.

Your suggestion about adding a large picture made me think the above had caused my problem. So, I went back to post manager and deleted the third picture (the one below the other two). Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem. I will try anything else you suggest. Thank you Phil Arnold www.elvisblog.net
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly can not see any issue with your blog. It's hard for me to offer advice because I don't see any problem to solve...

How about this: Do you see the problem on the individual article pages, or just on the main page?

If you only see the problem on the main page, work back through your articles viewing them one by one until you see one which exhibits the same behavior. That would be the article you need to edit... My guess would be the BEING ELVIS FOR HALLOWEEN article...
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's that article, there are dozens of non-breaking spaces in front of the elvis wig picture and it looks like browsers like IE wont like that.

How did you create this article, using our online editor? Or did you create it somewhere else and paste it in?
phil arnold

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John: I did as you suggested and determined that everything on Main Page was stretched right, but only "Being Elvis For Halloween" was messed-up when I went to the individual article pages. I was getting ready to go there and get the wig pictures straightened out when I read your last e-mail message. Thanks for telling me it was the non-breaking spaces in front of the wig pictures. I'll get rid of them and advise if that solves the problem. Thanks, Phil Arnold www.elvisblog.net
phil arnold

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John: I went to Post Manager and brought up "Being Elvis For Halloween." I thought I took out all non-breaking spaces in front of the wig pictures, but it's hard to be sure because I can't see them. That didn't solve the problem. So then I took out what I think are non-breaking spaces around other pistures. That didn't work either. So, I deleted the wig pictures completely. In fact, I joined the preceeding and following paragraphs together as one, to get rid of everything around the wig pictures. That didn't work. So, could you look at the article again and tell me if there are spaces elsewhere that are causing the problem -- or better yet, could you just delete them for me?

To answer your other question. I type my articles on Word and copy and paste it in. Thanks again, Phil Arnold www.elvisblog.net
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To answer your other question. I type my articles on Word and copy and paste it in.

Well, that's your issue right there... The HTML codes Word creates are truly awful and nearly impossible to debug. I suggest you find a new tool to create your content in... Blogjet is something to look at, it will change your blogging life, no exaggeration.

Quote:
or better yet, could you just delete them for me?

I removed all the runs of non breaking spaces for you...
phil arnold

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John: Thanks so much for removing the runs of non-breaking spaces for me. Elvisblog looks fine now. I'm impressed that you help us bloggers at 10PM on a Sunday night. That's real service.

I will Google Blogjet and see what it's about. Thanks for the tip. Phil Arnold
phil arnold

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John: You have been so helpful and I hate to take up so much of your time, but something new has come up. I wanted to make a small chage in the text of my most recent article, "The Strange Odyssey of Elvis' Shot-Up TV." I went to Post Manager and clicked on the article. The Edit Article box opened up, but all it showed was the title -- no text. This is strange, because all the text is there when you go to the website. Can you figure out this mystery? Thanks Phil Arnold
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see that when I go to the edit page using Firefox, so if you are using Internet Explorer, please try switching to Firefox to see if that solves your problem.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: