BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Questions about "Permanent Link"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil arnold

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Questions about "Permanent Link" Reply with quote

Does "Permanent Link" at the end of each article have any value to the readers? If not, is there any way to remove it? It seems like it would be confusing to the readers because nothing pops up to describe what "Permanent Link" means.

I understand its purpose for the authors, but I have always used a different method to copy an article's URL to send to someone. I just go to the Archives and click on the sub-folder. Is there anything wrong with this?

Phil Arnold
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about "Permanent Link" Reply with quote

The Permanent Link is a link that will not change.

Blogs have categories, and articles can appear at more than one URL since they can appear in multiple categories. Blog authors can reorganize, removing categories or placing articles in a different category.

So the Permanent Link is permanent, it will not change regardless of your choices with respect to filing the article in a category. Permanent Link means "link to this page, the URL will not change."

phil arnold wrote:
I understand its purpose for the authors, but I have always used a different method to copy an article's URL to send to someone. I just go to the Archives and click on the sub-folder. Is there anything wrong with this?Phil Arnold

And you are getting the actual URL of an article with this method or are you getting the URL of a category or date?
phil arnold

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John: Thanks for explaining "Permanent Link." I've never filed an article in more than one category, but sometimes I think I should. If I do, "Permanent Link" will be helpful.

To answer your question, when I click on a sub-category file, I get the URL of that category. Since I have only one article in the category, it works OK to send the article by e-mail. Once I start placing articles in multiple categories, I'll use "Permanent Link" when I send them.

Thanks again. Phil Arnold
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're actually creating a new subcategory for every article? Wow, I don't think I have ever seen that...

It's your blog so you can do whatever you want, but I can say that you will eventually hit a limit; I think there's a hard limit of 300 categories.

As you start to approach this number you will probably find that managing the blog in the control panel may be more difficult, since your browser may have problems trying to run the Javascripts that show you the Category Tree for example.

I really wouldn't think of the Category system as something that should have a 1:1 relationship with your articles. Categories allow you to group articles together, like folders. You put related documents in a folder...
phil arnold

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John: Boy, what kind of a mess did I get myself into? I guess I’ll need to go back and take each article out of its individual subcategory and then delete the subcategories.

For what it’s worth, here’s how the problem started. After two years of blogging, I wanted to improve the professional look of Elvisblog by adding hyperlinks to connect to my earlier articles. I put “hyperlinks” into the Help search box, and an article came up titled “Linking to Other Web Pages in Your Blog Entry.”

The first two things the article told me to do were “Locate a web page,” and “To copy the web page URL, select the web page address that appears in the address bar.” Well, at that point, I had no knowledge of “Permanent Link.” If I had ever read about it, it was long forgotten. So, the only way I could think of was to put each article in its own subcategory -- which gave it its own URL. To help other dummies in the future, do you think it might be a good idea to put some mention about “Permanent Link” in that article?

I have one other question about my category tree. If you look at my blog page, you will see that all the categories are below the title “Main Page.” I have seen other blogs where the title is “Archived Articles” or “Past Articles,” etc. Could you tell me how I might do that, too?

John, after three years, I am ready to take Elvisblog beyond the hobby category. I want to improve the layout and add new features, and then add Google Adsense and try to make a little money. I’m probably be going to be asking you a lot of questions. I hope you don’t mind. Thanks for your help.

Phil Arnold
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help other dummies in the future, do you think it might be a good idea to put some mention about “Permanent Link” in that article?

That article really was intended to tell folks how to link to pages on other web sites, not really to tell you how to link to your own site. The principles should be the same though. I don't think anyone else has ever come to the conclusion that you need to create a category for every article in order to get it a URL, but we'll try and be mindful that it could be possible to see things that way.

I have one other question about my category tree. If you look at my blog page, you will see that all the categories are below the title “Main Page.” I have seen other blogs where the title is “Archived Articles” or “Past Articles,” etc. Could you tell me how I might do that, too?

That's not possible.

I’m probably be going to be asking you a lot of questions. I hope you don’t mind.

Of course not, please feel free. Be sure to create a new thread when you have a new question; it helps folks find the specific answer to something they might be searching for.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: