BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Announcing PressHarbor, Next Generation WordPress Hosting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What if I've paid blogHarbor for a year? Reply with quote

If you are a BlogHarbor annual customer, go to PressHarbor and create a user account from the Create Account link at the top of the page. Then contact us and let us know what you are trying to do, and we'll add a credit at PressHarbor for your current balance on your BlogHarbor account. Then you can purchase a hosting package at PressHarbor and apply those credits to the purchase.
karmyntyler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little confused! So do we now need BOTH to use blogharbor or can we just stick with blogharbor....this is an alternative to WordPress, yes?
karmyntyler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so will have to pay for something else in addition to Blogharbor?? That's what I'm trying to avoid!!! I like blogharbor and that's why i started paying for it! But if I have to pay for something else? I'm sorry, but that would kinda really suck!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how you came to any of those conclusions, I can't see where we explained things that way but I will definitely have to review my writing to see if I somehow gave off that impression.

First, we never stated you need "BOTH"... No, PressHarbor is not "an alternative to WordPress", it is in fact WordPress, hopefully WordPress made easier.

If you like your BlogHarbor blog, great! Keep using it.

If you wanted to move to WordPress, that's great too! We have an option for you.

That about sums it up.
karmyntyler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you! question: if I switch, will I lose everything i already have on blogharbor? past articles and photos.....if not, and it's easier, I'm SO there!

(BTW - I know just enough to do what I do!)

Thank you for clarifying! I really did think that you guys meant we would have to buy something else.
karmyntyler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind! i just looked at the message again! sorry! I'm a dork!!
caribousmom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I found you, John Smile

I have what might seem like a stupid question - but what do you mean by I have to have my own domain? And if I don't have one, can I still switch from Blogharbor to Press Harbor?

Also, does Press Harbor also allow uploading to a photo album?

And, if I have a web page on BlogHarbor, I realize that it will not migrate...should I copy it or create a regular post of it BEFORE migration? In other words, once migrated, does my blogharbor blog disappear? Or can I still access it to copy html code for widgets, for example.
caribousmom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one other question - will PressHarbor allow for more than one blog under the same payment package...like some of the free blogs do? Or will it be set up like blogharbor where the user has to pay for a new blog each time?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean by I have to have my own domain?

We mean that your new blog will need to use your own domain name, not a *.blogharbor.com address. We can redirect traffic from your old *.blogharbor.com address to your new domain name, but you will be broadcasting a new address.

And if I don't have one, can I still switch from Blogharbor to Press Harbor?

Sure, you can purchase a new domain name in the process.

will PressHarbor allow for more than one blog under the same payment package?

It will essentially be one blog. You can however install your own software, so if you want to setup multiple blogs using subdirectories, you should be able to do that yourself. It won't be managed by our system though, you would need to install and configure the software and you would be responsible for maintaining the security of any additional software you install.
caribousmom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more questions:

1. I use Mr. Linky on my blogharbor blog - will that be migrated with all links intact?
2. You mentioned purchasing a domain name - is a free one included if I pay annually (I thought you mentioned that in your first post on this forum)?
3. Should I make copies of any code which I am using in my side bars, and also copy my web page BEFORE the migration...or will that be available for me on my old blog for a while after the migration so I can move things over?

Wendy
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Mr. Linky on my blogharbor blog - will that be migrated with all links intact?

I have never heard of Mr. Linky and I have no idea what it does on your blog. But if it is a component you put in your sidebar, then no, we do not add it into your Wordpress blog. As we note on the first post to this thread, Sidebar components are not migrated.

...purchasing a domain name - is a free one included if I pay annually

Yes. Again, that is stated on the first post to this thread.

Should I make copies of any code which I am using in my side bars, and also copy my web page BEFORE the migration...or will that be available for me on my old blog for a while after the migration so I can move things over?

We'll leave your original blog up until you are ready to move. But there's no benefit to waiting, so why not make your preparations beforehand.
caribousmom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I use Mr. Linky on my blogharbor blog - will that be migrated with all links intact?

I have never heard of Mr. Linky and I have no idea what it does on your blog. But if it is a component you put in your sidebar, then no, we do not add it into your Wordpress blog. As we note on the first post to this thread, Sidebar components are not migrated.

Mr. Linky is in the body of the blog - it allows people to enter their name and then a link to a post which then pops up in the body of my blog (I put a code in the header of my blog so it would work). You can see it here.

I would hate to lose all those links!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know how Mr. Linky works, so I can not answer this unfortunately. I think only Mr. Linky himself will be able to answer this for you.
caribousmom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John - I contacted Mr. Linky and they don't think it will be a problem - should migrate right along with everything else as long as I copy the code from my header and put it in the new header of the new blog.

Thanks for answering all my questions - I'm just about ready to do this Smile
caribousmom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quick question, John - if I have a post which has not published yet (ie: is in draft) will that migrate okay?

Thanks

Wendy
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: