BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Font size frustrations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Font size frustrations Reply with quote

Frequently, when I write a post, the preview and the final article have an unintended mix of font sizes, while the rich text editor view seems fine.

I don't paste in from other editors, writing directly into the WYSIWYG view and when I look at the code it seems to be ok (though I'm not a coder, for sure).

I generally write first, then edit for size, bolding, etc.

What could be happening? Or do you need specific examples pasted in?

Thanks so much --
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Font size frustrations Reply with quote

I'm not sure there's an easy answer to that question without looking over your shoulder.

Keep in mind that the more styling you try to do to your post, the more likely it is you will run into trouble. I think that's a pretty safe statement to make no matter what web-based HTML editor you are using. Especially try to avoid changing font sizes if possible, and also be sure not to allow the system to automatically create excerpts for you: create your own excerpts.

You could also explore using something like w.bloggar, an offline tool for posting to your blog (setup info here).
Dr. K

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John:

I didn't think I was doing a lot of styling -- here is my usual "routine".

I write the post content - including pasting in links and quotes from other sites sometimes.

Then I highlight all and change the font type of everything at once. (which works with everything except pasted in links sometimes)

Then I highlight all and increase the font size by 1, as the default seems quite small to my aging eyes. Wink

Then I increase the size of sub/headers and add bolding to key phrases.

Finally, I always do create my own excerpt, choose categories, etc. and preview/post.

Is that a lot?

I will also check into wbloggar - I'm guessing if I use it it means I can just paste in directly, create the excerpt and categories, etc., then be done and it will look however I did it in wblogger?

Thanks --

Karen
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write the post content - including pasting in links and quotes from other sites sometimes.

That's probably your number one problem. When you copy from a browser and paste into a visual web editor, you are carrying over HTML code which is not only unknown, but likely malformed (since you are not guaranteed that you copied both the opening _and_ the ending tag).

If you really need to copy styled content and paste it in, you should copy it and then paste it into a text editor like Notepad so that it loses the style information, then copy it from Notepad and paste it into the editor.

Then I highlight all and increase the font size by 1, as the default seems quite small to my aging eyes.

That kind of thing is best done by updating your CSS rather than changing the font in the editor. Too late now though...

Is that a lot?

Yeah, it's a lot of in place editing for a web-based editor. You would probably be better off using an offline editor like wbloggar or Blogjet.

I will also check into wbloggar - I'm guessing if I use it it means I can just paste in directly, create the excerpt and categories, etc., then be done and it will look however I did it in wblogger?

It will do a lot better than a web-based editor. How much better depends on a lot of variables, and your mileage may vary. Try wbloggar, it's free and Blogger has a free trial.
Dr. K

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="john"]If you really need to copy styled content and paste it in, you should copy it and then paste it into a text editor like Notepad so that it loses the style information, then copy it from Notepad and paste it into the editor.

Noted -- I can do that.

That kind of thing is best done by updating your CSS rather than changing the font in the editor. Too late now though...

I'll try the w.bloggar option, but just in case...

How would I do this? -- go to the Source mode and do something there?
I think this is what I end up (trying) to do as I go through and fix what I can find. Or is changing the CSS something different - in the general template preferences or...?

I've downloaded w.bloggar, so we'll see how my next post goes, if I figure everything out with it Wink

Thanks again --

Karen
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this post:

http://forums.blogharbor.com/viewtopic.php?t=2097

to learn how to update your CSS files which allow you to change things like font colors and sizes globally.
Dr. K

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh...got it.

Thanks again --

Karen
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: