BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Components

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil arnold

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Custom Components Reply with quote

John: I am starting a new more defined topic to pin down something you mentioned in the last one.

OK, I get it. The way to fill my new right column (in 3-column format) is to add Custom Components. Thanks for giving me the link to learn how. I studied "Create a Custom Component," and all I need now is info on how to add content to one. Any suggestions?

Phil Arnold
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Components Reply with quote

The way to fill my new right column (in 3-column format) is to add Custom Components.

I think you are misunderstanding what I said. To be clear, if you want to "fill" your new right column in a 3 column format, you would add Sidebar Components. There are many components available for you to choose from. If you want to add your own content, then you would create a custom component.

I studied "Create a Custom Component" and all I need now is info on how to add content to one. Any suggestions?

Please re-read the post, the sample code shows you where you put your original content... Look for And put your content here. in bold in the sample code...
phil arnold

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John: I have finally figured out what I want to place in my new right column. I found the Demo section called "To Post A Web Page." The last part of that was "To Save a Web Page as a Component," which stated: The web page feature makes it easy to create and edit components for your blog's sidebar by allowing you to save web pages as custom components. Perfect - just what I've been looking for.

I have created a web page called ElvisBlog News and added a bit of content. I followed instructions and clicked the Create a Component box and the Save Page box. So far, so good.

However, when I go to Layout Manager and click on Components, my new creation does not show in Custom Components. Can you figure out what is wrong?

Thanks, Phil Arnold
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion, that capability was never actually implemented. It was planned, but not implemented, so the documentation listed it but it does not actually exist. I will correct the documentation.

I am sorry, but you need to manually create your custom sidebar components.
phil arnold

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John: This is so disappointing. I thought I had finally found what I need. Could you do one thing for me?

Please go to this BlogHarbor site: http://www.bikingbis.com/blog/archives/2005/3/28/485594.html
It is 3-column format. The left column contains Standar Components - Recent Articles, recent Comments, and Main Page. The right column contains a number of Custom Components. Please look at Inside Biking Biz. It has a list of 8 items under it. If you click on any of them, a Web Page opens (check out the URL).

Can you tell me how to do this?

Thanks, Phil Arnold
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, the component is simply a Favorites list which was added to the blog's sidebar.
phil arnold

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the website I referenced above change the title of the component from "My Favorite Links" to "Inside Biking Biz"?

Also, how did that site create 10 of these components/favorites lists, each with a different title?

Thanks, Phil Arnold
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read the documentation I referenced? Please do so, it's all in there.
phil arnold

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, John. I finally have it figured out. I will create three web pages and will put access to them in my new right column by posting three customized Favorites lists (each with just one URL).

Suggestion. You said you were going to correct the documentation in the Web page section about "saving web pages as a custom component." Maybe you could mention that this can be achieved by editing Favorites lists. That might make things easier for the next person.

Thanks again. I won't bother you any more for a while. Phil Arnold
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you were going to correct the documentation in the Web page section about "saving web pages as a custom component." Maybe you could mention that this can be achieved by editing Favorites lists. That might make things easier for the next person.

I would guess that would depend on what problem you are trying to solve... It may be the answer in one case and not in another; I'm not sure that creating Favorites list is the universal answer on how to create a custom component. Technically speaking, it's not even a custom component, it's a favorites list. In any case, I'm glad you've found a solution which suits your needs.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: