BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
20 posts per page limit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holdthatmayo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: 20 posts per page limit Reply with quote

Hi,

I just completed my 21st post, realizing for the first time there is a limit of 20 per page. Is there any way to increase or remove that limit? If the answer is no, is there any way to change the location of the "previous 20 articles" link. It appears at the very top of the page, just below the header which seems out of place and distracting. It would be much better to have that at the bottom of the page.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am not a big fan of having that "previous 20 articles" link so pronounced.

Thanks,

Craig
www.holdthatmayo.com
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 20 posts per page limit Reply with quote

I think if you read this you will see how the article template is created and find the area which creates these "paging links" and you'll be able to place them wherever you prefer.
holdthatmayo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,

I am stuggling on this one. I browsed through both the category and article templates and could not find any mentions of the "previous 20 articles" link. Can you help point me in the right direction? Perhaps I am missing something? I am copy-pasting both templates directly below: (first the article and then the category)

Thanks!!!

(admin removed the code that was here)
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake, I mentioned the article template; you need to edit the category template.

Look for the part that starts with this:

Code:
{{if category_breadcrumbs}}

and extends to this:

Code:
{{/if}} <!-- if category_breadcrumbs -->

That's the area you want to customize.
holdthatmayo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,

Yup I found the area you are talking about . It's at the very top of the category template and there are alot of lines of code .(i pasted it beneath my message) i've had some success in the past making minor changes to the template but this looks like jibberish to my non-programmer eyes. I was expecting to see the name of the link somewhere in there. It's just not clear to me which part of that code is making that "previous 20 articles" appear. Or is it that entire breadcrumbs esction that does that that? (if that is the case, it seems like alot of code for just one link) My goal is to change the maximum per page from 20 articles to a greater number and/or drop the placement of the link to beneath the last post on the page. (as opposed to it being above the first post) Can you give me some more guidance for accomplishing this?

Thanks so much for your time!

All the best,

Craig

{{if breadcrumb}}
<div>
{{loop breadcrumb}}
{{label}}
{{unless __last__}}
&nbsp;»&nbsp;
{{/unless}}
{{/loop}}
</div>
{{/if}}

<div>
{{if category.prev_articles_url}}
<span>«</span>&nbsp;{{category.prev_articles_text}}
{{/if}} <if>

{{if category.next_articles_url}}
{{if category.prev_articles_url}}
&nbsp;|&nbsp;
{{/if}}

{{category.next_articles_text}}
&nbsp;»
{{/if}} <if>

</div> <articleBreadcrumb>
{{/if}} <if>
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part of the code that starts with this:

Code:

and extends to this:

Code:
{{/if}} <!-- if category_breadcrumbs -->

inclusive is the code that generates the links you are referring to. That's the entire section of coding required to make the Paging links appear.

The number of articles in the paging links can be configured using the instructions here.

Personally, I think it is a bad idea to go past 20 items for many reasons, including the fact that it will essentially double your bandwidth consumption.
holdthatmayo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just take that entire section and move it to the bottom of the template window to change the positioning of the link on my category page. I think it finally sunk in!

Thanks!!
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: