BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Number of Articles Shown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Number of Articles Shown Reply with quote

I might be missing something, but I would like to do the following:

-display the last 10 days of articles on the Main Page
-display ALL articles within a category when the category is clicked on.

It seems like whatever I set the Main Page to, also sets the categories. Help! Thanks.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Number of Articles Shown Reply with quote

It is not currently possible to configure the blog to have different "Paging types" on a per category (Main Page is also a category) basis. The Paging type option as applied from Settings->Navigation is a global setting for all categories.
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...I see.

It wouldn't be as large a problem except that if you set the limit to something less than the total, and you don't turn on the links from one group to the next, then when the user clicks on the category, they only see part of the total articles without any link to tell them there are more.

And if you do turn it on, then you have the links on the category pages, AND the main page, which is bad.

Maybe I can just turn it on and then edit the links out of the main page. Hmmm...I'll give that a shot. May main page is getting too big...haha. I'm killing anybody without broadband.

Thanks John.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle93815 wrote:
And if you do turn it on, then you have the links on the category pages, AND the main page, which is bad.

I am not sure why that is bad. Is it bad as in it looks bad or is it bad as in bad things happen?
Kyle93815

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll admit that I'm particularly anal, but I think it looks bad. I can't recall ever seeing another blog with a link on the very top of the page that says "Last 15 days" or something of the like. It's just the wrong place for a link. I think on the bottom would be better.

It's okay though. I edited the main page separately from the category pages, and everything is bueno. The great thing about the service and the editing options/tools is that everybody can tweak their site to their liking. And boy can you tweak..haha.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle93815 wrote:
Well, I'll admit that I'm particularly anal, but I think it looks bad. I can't recall ever seeing another blog with a link on the very top of the page that says "Last 15 days" or something of the like. It's just the wrong place for a link. I think on the bottom would be better.

Nothing wrong with being particular about the look of your blog! The other "traditional" way previous posts are found is through the calendar.

Kyle93815 wrote:
It's okay though. I edited the main page separately from the category pages, and everything is bueno. The great thing about the service and the editing options/tools is that everybody can tweak their site to their liking. And boy can you tweak..haha.

Kyle makes a great point here: Templates can be customized per category. So you can customize the Main Page category template (yes, the Main Page is just another category) to have these next/prev links at the bottom if you want, but have other categories do it some other way (or not at all), for example.

Maybe someday Kyle will let us know the address of his site so we can all see how bueno it is. Wink
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: