BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Easily change categories?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Easily change categories? Reply with quote

is there an easy way to change categories after an article is published?

is there any thought of creating a tree navigation of posted articles with the ability to easily change the attributes for a group of articles? is it possible?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Easily change categories? Reply with quote

cd wrote:
is there an easy way to change categories after an article is published?

Yes, there is. Just edit the article and change the category on the right side of the page (below where it says Select one or more categories) and click Save at the bottom of the page.

cd wrote:
is there any thought of creating a tree navigation of posted articles with the ability to easily change the attributes for a group of articles? is it possible?

At this time we do not have the capability to do batch modification on articles, you need to edit articles individually.
cd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: tree navigation Reply with quote

just so I am making myself clear; i am asking about a graphical representation of articles, i.e. a tree structure, that would allow one to select several articles simultaneously and change their attributes. this is different from "batch" as in batch uploading where one uploads a group of files but has no fine control over a subset of the files attributes.

is such a tree navigation structure in the plans?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: tree navigation Reply with quote

cd - Yes, I understood the question. There is currently no plan to create an interface to modify multiple articles simultaneously.

There are really very few attributes of an article that could be modified in bulk. What attributes of articles do you need to modify that you would find this type of bulk or batch processing useful?
cd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two come to mind;

if one has a lot of articles to upload one can use batch ftp to upload them but they all go in at the upload date and into the same category.

1) being able to move groups of them to a given category would save a great deal of time.

2) being able to set the date via a navigation interface would save a great deal of time rather than having to go into each entry to set the date and then save it and then go into the next entry etc...
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing: If you are uploading via ftp, those are files and not articles. The difference is not merely semantic. Articles are stories that appear in your weblog. They are dated, have summaries, can live in one or more categories. Articles can not be uploaded by FTP into your weblog.

Files can be uploaded into your weblog via the File Manager or via ftp. You can upload a GIF or JPEG image file, a Word document, a PDF, or any other type of binary file. Files do not have summaries, and are not associated with categories. to It is not possible to change the modification or "Uploaded date" for a file that has been uploaded.

Files can be used anywhere: You can link to one as your logo or banner, or you can link to one from within an article.

So for your question #1 - I can understand the need for changing the categories of groups of articles. Perhaps you created a number of articles and afterwards decided they should go into another category? Is this how you came to require this functionality?

As noted before, this question does not apply to files - uploaded files do not belong to categories so there is no need to modify them.

As for #2 - This also applies to artices only, as the modification or Uploaded date of a file can not be modified. This would be the Published date that appears on the article itself.

OK, I can see how it could be something that might be useful... Can you tell us what kind of scenario would require you to modify the Published date in bulk?

There are many features that are in development, and we do listen and respond to your feedback. By helping us to understand not only what feature you are looking for but why you would need it, we can better understand how our software is being used and prioritize our development appropriately.
cd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info John. you are right i am mixing two things here; your current batch upload functionality and publishing a single file to the blog.

i have many articles in either url or pdf format that i would like to batch upload to the blog as opposed to batch uploading to the file manager and then publishing each individual file to the blog. this applies to web research i have compiled over the years. my questions apply to this functionality requirement.

if i have to batch them to the file manager and then one by one publish them to the blog it is far too time consuming. maybe another approach would be to batch upload them to the file manager and then have some graphical navigation to publish to the blog several files at once while being able to set attributes such as date, title, and category, in the graphical view rather than in an edit view for each article.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cd wrote:
thanks for the info John. you are right i am mixing two things here; your current batch upload functionality and publishing a single file to the blog.

Actually, let me thist: there is a difference between ftp uploading and publishing articles to the blog. Articles can not be uploaded at all; only files can be uploaded. So when you say this:

cd wrote:
i have many articles in either url or pdf format that i would like to batch upload to the blog

Technically speaking, you do not have articles in PDF format, you have files in PDF format.

I hope I am not coming across as a jerk here, I am simply trying point out that while you can upload multiple files at once via FTP, those are files and not articles... Just wanting to make sure we are talking about the same things.

In any case, I suspect that you may be well served by using a blogging client like Blogjet to post your articles:

http://www.blogjet.com

Blogjet can assist you in creating and editing your articles, as well as uploading files. I recently wrote a guide to setting up Blogjet with your BlogHarbor weblog:

http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/HowTo/_archives/2004/7/1/98378.html

Hope this helps! Smile
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: