BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Structure in excerpts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Structure in excerpts Reply with quote

Is there any way of getting structure in excerpts?

For example:

I type into the excerpt box the following:

"line#1

line #2"

and this previews as

"line#1 line #2"
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Structure in excerpts Reply with quote

The excerpts area is for you to type a short summary of your article. It does not add HTML tags for you, as the Rich Text Editor does when you are entering the body of the article.

If you want to add structure to the article, you would need to enter HTML tags into the excerpt area. So if you want to see this:

line#1

line #2

You would need to enter this:

Code:
line#1<br>
<br>
<br>
line #2

This post had another tip:

http://forums.blogharbor.com/viewtopic.php?t=623
David Andrew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You advise that, to get the structure I want in excerpts I have to insert any HMTL myself, by hand. This compares with the main article where I am using the rich text editor offered in Firefox and some other browsers - but not in Opera

NB: I have edited this post, to add what follows, during the day.

I post below a method of getting structure into excerpts that I leave for the record. There is a simpler route.

At the bottom right hand corner of the rich text editing window we have "Mode: Display". Next to that an icon for 'toggle display'.

Toggle and you get the text + formatting html. Cut and paste the part of that you want to the excerpt window. Voila! structure.

DJA

To learn about a longer route - that may teach more about html, there follows method B...

"So I did some thinking. In Firefox it is easy to get to the page source, using Ctl+U. Given that, I suggest the following procedure.

1. Display the page containing the articles from which you wish to post excerpts and do Ctl+U to display the source code. This will load another instance of Firefox so you have to switch (Alt+Tab) between the HTML source and the blog material to be edited as you go.

2. Right click on the article logo/symbol - to the left of the article title, and select new tab.

3. The article is displayed in its own window. Now select 'Edit Article.'

4. Switch Alt-Tab to the HTML source, and scroll down in the page to the HTML for the article of interest. The actual text of the article appears under <div class="articleBody">

5. Highlight and copy the text for the excerpt.

6. Swap back to the Firefox edit page and paste that text into excerpt window.

7. Now proceed thogh review, edit, publish/save as normal.

If many articles are to be treated, helpful to close the edit tabs for each as one goes along."
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions, thanks for posting them.

Mozilla/Firefox also offer another useful feature. Select any text in a web page, and right click in Windows or control-click on Mac. You'll see a popup menu, one of your options will be View Selection Source. Choose that and you will see the HTML codes for the area of the web page you selected.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: