BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Managing 'disk' usage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Managing 'disk' usage Reply with quote

I noticed that my disk usage, in a trial blog, was at 772 KB, including several large graphics files, and thought to try and reduce that.

I found one of my images and replaced it with itself but this time making sure that 'keep raw file' was not 'ticked' (UK English).

I expected that the disk usage would at least remain unchanged but it went up.

I endeavoured to keep the thumbnail size and display size unchanged.

Questions:

1. Have I done something wrong that the disk usage went up.

2. I have been unable to find a way to display the attributes used when a 'photo' was originally uploaded, ie thumbnail and image size, and keep raw. Are these available, please?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Managing 'disk' usage Reply with quote

1. Have I done something wrong that the disk usage went up.

I can not duplicate this. I uploaded an image to a Photo Album, and checked the Keep raw copy checkbox. Disk Usage reported an additional 183KB used. Then I uploaded the same image, but made sure that Keep raw copy was unchecked and that Overwrite existing photos was checked (to make sure we are replacing the image and not adding a new one). Disk Usage dropped by 88 KB...

Did you check the Overwrite existing photos box? It may be possible you added a new photo instead of overwriting an existing one. Also, if you changed the file name the second time around, the system will not recognize it as the same photo. Even changing the case will cause it to view the image as a separate image: Photo.jpg is not the same as PHOTO.JPG...

2. I have been unable to find a way to display the attributes used when a 'photo' was originally uploaded, ie thumbnail and image size, and keep raw. Are these available, please?

This is not currently available, but it's a great suggestion...
David Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!

Following your reply, I went around this again. For the general good, I own up to my conclusion that the increase in disk usage was down to me.

Why? Well the only way I could put the usage up was if:

1. I had uploaded without keeping raw

2. I then replaced and kept raw.

quite the opposite of what I intended.

That's for the record. To add value:

1. I didn't need to check 'overwrite existing photo' because I was using the 'replace this photo' feature, at the bottom of the edit entry page for photos

2. You can tell if an image has been stored with raw. There then occurs a 'purge raw' option under the image itself on the edit photo page.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm a little confused by all this, I can't tell from your reply if everything is solved or not... Embarassed Let us know if you need any addiitional info.

Yes, you are correct that you can purge raw from the Edit Photo page. I didn't notice that as part of the question the first time around.
David Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do indeed see the matter as cleared up.

What I was doing was two things:

1. owning up to having got my original query wrong

2. noting some options I had noticed while resolving the matter, that might be of interest/use to others.

Thanks as always
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: