BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
downloading ecopy of site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qureus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: downloading ecopy of site Reply with quote

Hi John,

I'm planning on discontinuing my blog in favor of opening a new one. However, before I take any action, I want to be able to make a copy of first blog because I want to recycle/repackage some content to use on the second.

What's the best way to accomplish this -- or even to make period backups of the site for myself?

Thanks!
Q
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: downloading ecopy of site Reply with quote

Just as an FYI, we maintain backups of the servers in the event that it is necessary to restore your site as a result of a server failure, but we do not provide the capability for you to restore your site to a previous state. So if you delete a post or a photo accidentally, for example, we can't get it back for you.

Also, if you just want to change the address of your blog, we can do that for you. If changing the address might save you some effort, just let us know and we'll work with you on that.

As for creating some archives of your current posts, the most complete method for archiving your posts would be to download an export file which our service can generate for you. The format is XML, so it might not be very human readable, but your articles and information about them will all be contained in that file.

To generate and download that file, login to the control panel and click Settings from the top tab, you'll see a link to Import/Export which you should click on. Then at the bottom of that page you will see a button labeled Generate Export.

Click that button, then wait a minute or two while we create the file for you. Reload the page by clicking on the Settings tab again, and you will be able to download an XML-formatted archive containing your blog postings.

For super advanced users: if there is anyone out there with knowledge of XML transforms, you could probably create an XSLT file which transforms our XML export into a more human readable format, or a format for use with other software.

Another possibility is to use your own RSS file as a source for your archive, though the RSS file will not contain all the information that the XML archive would contain.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: