BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ecto Impressions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Third Party
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JZC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Ecto Impressions? Reply with quote

I've used Blogjet quite a bit and while it is functional, its just 'okay', if you know what I mean.

Anyone these parts with some real work impressions of Ecto in conjunction with Blogharbor before I effort a trial of the application?

If it is just more of the same, vis-a-vis Blogjet, not sure of the worth. I'm trying to support a computer literacy diverse user church school user population that I don't dare give Administrator status and who struggles with the base Dashboard GUI as it is.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

JZC
abacquer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: try mobblogging Reply with quote

If your community is very diverse and has trouble with the dashboard, why not have them do mobblogging? Your blogharbor account supports mobblogging, from multiple addresses. You could even set it up so that different members articles would automatically go into categories specific to them.

John can probably give you the skinny, but for mobblogging, all your peeps have to be able to do is send an e-mail message. They send an e-mail, blogharbor gets it, and adds an article to the blog with the contents of the email. No dashboard necessary.
JZC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered it but keep coming back to the idea of client software because the school teachers want to integrate text and visuals more fully than the mob approach allows.

Completely agree it is a great idea for straight text.

If I can get to the bottom of being able to have trusted posters use a client like Blogjet, or Ecto though I have zero experience with that package, then I'd be closer.

Many thanks for the idea. I'll play with it some more.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I considered it but keep coming back to the idea of client software because the school teachers want to integrate text and visuals more fully than the mob approach allows.

Actually, it works pretty well for HTML too. Using a mail client like Mozilla or Thunderbird, you can compose an HTML mail and even insert images into the mail and as long as you send the mail as HTML only (with no plaintext part) you can get a well formatted post in HTML by using an email client.

The only drawback is that the moblogging/email shortcut features were created before our multiple posters system was envisioned, and as such all posts sent via email are attributed to the blog owner... Although you can setup email shortcuts for any email address, the Posted by byline on the article will be your admin account.

This might not be a problem if you can make it part of your user's checklist to give themselves attribution within the article they are creating.
JZC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, its funny you mention that because I was using Tbird to conduct some experimenting per abacquer's earlier post. I started embedding HTML and sure enough there was the formatting in my test bed folder I've got hidden from the regular school users. Lots of potential here.

If I can teach the (relunctant) preacher from another church I'm helping, also on BlogHarbor, to post his sermons using this method ... he'll want to bold and italicize here and there too ... then this should be the ticket to get him more productive.

I'll report back as I learn more.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Third Party All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: