BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Copy/paste with WinXP SP2 & Firefox 1.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
artatcomo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Copy/paste with WinXP SP2 & Firefox 1.0 Reply with quote

john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Copy/paste with WinXP SP2 & Firefox 1.0 Reply with quote

Please note that we reverted to the same version of the Rich Text Editor that was in use up until the change on Thursday...

Can I ask a silly question... You say you "right click to paste"... What happens if you use the standard Control-V to paste? Or pasted using the Edit menu of the browser toolbar?

You won't be able to right click to paste into the Rich Text Editor. Ever. That's not a flaw or a bug, just a fact of life when trying to force word processing functions into a web browser. The Article Body is not a real field like a field in a form; the Article Title and Article Summary fields are actual form fields which is why you can paste into them using the right-click function.

Windows sees the Article Body area as a web page, an IFRAME to be specific, and will never offer you the Paste option when right-clicking into it. Use the standard Control-V and I'm sure you will find that you can paste into the Rich Text Editor.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Copy/paste with WinXP SP2 & Firefox 1.0 Reply with quote

I would also like to suggest that you take a look at BlogJet, a blogging client for Windows. It's a fantastic environment for posting to your weblog. We do our best to put word processing like features into a web browser to make it easy to post to your weblog, but a client like Blogjet is not tied to the limitations of a web browser.

A free trial is available, and instructions for configuring Blogjet for use with our BlogHarbor service are here.
artatcomo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Control V does indeed work to paste into the text editor. Thank you, John, for opening my eyes to this option. In all my years computing, I have never used Control V, in fact I have never heard of it except maybe as something Apple computers had to resort to because they did not have a two button mouse. Wink
http://www.artifactor.org/
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard keyboard shortcuts on Windows for copying, cutting, pasting, and selecting all are Control-C, Control-X, Control-V, and Control-A. Mac uses the same letters, but with the Command (aka Apple) key.

As a user of the original Windows 3.0 (Windows 3.1 was such an improvement!), I remember that right clicking to be able to perform these functions did not originate until Win95. OS/2 was the operating system of the early 90s which demonstrated the utility of the contextual menu (invoked by right clicking on Win, control clicking on Mac; Mac OS 8 is where contextual menus were introduced on that platform). Win95 really owes its use of contextual menus to OS/2.

The standard keyboard shortcuts are easy to remember. Control-C, the C is for copy. Control-A for selecting all. A for all. Control-X for Cut? The X looks like a scissor, that's why it was chosen. Control-V for paste? That's an interesting one. The proofreader's mark for inserting text is usually an upside down V, a caret mark.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: