BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I figured out how to add a discussion board to my blog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocollier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: I figured out how to add a discussion board to my blog Reply with quote

Afew months back I asked a question about adding a discussion board to my blog. The answer returned was that BlogHabor does not support discussion boards. So, I really had to think on how I could make this work and here was my solution.

I purchased some hosting space on another hosting provider and installed a discussion board there. I then went to my blog and created a html page and put the discussion board link in a iframe so that it would show up on my blog. Guess what? It worked!

http://www.blackgreeknetwork.com/blog/_WebPages/BlackGreekNetworkDiscussionBoard.html

Here's my problem... depending on what size monitor you are using, it can make the page look weird. Meaning you have a scroll bar from left to right. I have tweaked the iframe width but smaller screens still have problems.

My template design for my site is three columns. Is there a way, that I can do a two column design for this page only? I think if I went with a two column design it would solve my problem.

By the way, I use a lot of pictures on my site as well and now I host my pictures from that other hosting provider and my bandwidth on my blog has dropped dramatically. This is great because I was constantly reaching my limits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I figured out how to add a discussion board to my blog Reply with quote

Afew months back I asked a question about adding a discussion board to my blog. The answer returned was that BlogHabor does not support discussion boards. So, I really had to think on how I could make this work and here was my solution.

Just in case anyone is interested incorporating external content into their blog:

http://forums.blogharbor.com/viewtopic.php?t=1074

is where we noted that it is possible to use an IFRAME, or inline frame, as a way to place any external or remote content within your web document.

...depending on what size monitor you are using, it can make the page look weird. Meaning you have a scroll bar from left to right. I have tweaked the iframe width but smaller screens still have problems. My template design for my site is three columns. Is there a way, that I can do a two column design for this page only? I think if I went with a two column design it would solve my problem.

A Web Page will maintain the layout of the Main Page category. If your Main Page is 3 columns, so will your Web Pages have 3 columns.

By the way, I use a lot of pictures on my site as well and now I host my pictures from that other hosting provider and my bandwidth on my blog has dropped dramatically. This is great because I was constantly reaching my limits.

Just as a quick reminder to anyone, we are a web hosting provider. Our company Rackshare provides the BlogHarbor service, and thus we can offer you a wide variety of options when it comes to web hosting.

The nature of web hosting is somewhat similar to the nature of the new car business in that we need to make the buying process as simple as possible, so we bundle things together in "packages" and "plans". Sometimes you might feel that a particular plan doesn't seem to fit you right, it's too big here and not big enough there. If that happens, don't hesitate to contact us and let us know. Chances are we can probably figure out someway to make things fit better for you.
tenoarman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cbox works perfectly with BlogHarbor and probably most other places. I love it. Free and for-fee versions.

Update: Scratch that. Javascript that connects to external sites is not good. I deleted Cbox and Del.icio.us code as they both had server problems recently.

Some Wordpress blogs have chat boxes that are internal, and it'd be nice if one was available to us; in addition to being easy to install. Even just the last ten posts or so being accessible. I don't care if the archives disappear.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: