BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Notifications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmohr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Notifications Reply with quote

I am having trouble getting my notifications to look the way I want and I'm wondering if there's something I am neglecting to do:

My article notification template looks like this
Code:
<html>
{{author}} has posted an article on  {{blog.name}}

<p>
<b>{{title}}</b><br>
{{body}}
</p>

To read the entire article and comment <a href="{{permalink_url}}">click here</a> or go to<br>
{{permalink_url}}<br>

<p>
You are subscribed to receive email notifications from {{blog.name}}. To cancel or change your notification settings <a href="{{blog.url}}">click here</a>, login, and then click the "Subscribe" link at the top right.
</p>
</html>

But when I receive an article notification it only includes the first 20 words. I had to add the phrase "to read the entire article" until I can get it to work correctly. Shouldn't it include the full body?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Notifications Reply with quote

But when I receive an article notification it only includes the first 20 words. I had to add the phrase "to read the entire article" until I can get it to work correctly. Shouldn't it include the full body?

Yes, it should. I think the problem is on our side. I'm going to try to get development to take a look at this and verify, I think somehow we've got excerpts appearing in the body variable... Sorry for the inconvenience, we'll see if we can get this taken care of as soon as possible.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Notifications Reply with quote

Actually, it turns out the system is working fine... I just forgot about one of our features... Embarassed

Our system can create automatic excerpt of your article body for you even when your notification template includes the {{body}} variable and not the {{excerpt}} variable. This functionality allows you to post full text articles to your blog (without using excerpts on the blog itself) but have automatically generated excerpts included in lieu of the full text when email notifications were sent, for those of you who only wanted the full text viewed at the blog itself.

If you want to disable the automatically generated excerpts, go to Settings & Security > Publishing Defaults > Advanced in your control panel and you'll see the section for Excerpts. Look for the checkbox labeled Use excerpt in email notification; uncheck it and click the Save Settings button at the bottom of the page.

Now your email notifications will contain the full article text instead of an automatically generated excerpt.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: