BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CSS not inheriting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blistick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: CSS not inheriting Reply with quote

I wanted to change one border color on the "minimalist green" color scheme so I edited the style template for "main", copying everything in the "current css" to an editor, replacing the color (#FF9900) everywhere I found it, then pasting it all into the "custom css" area.

That worked for the home page, but when I went into different categories or sub-categories some of the old color showed up. All of the categories were set to inherit the style template from parent, so my first question is why did that happen?

I then tried the same customization directly on a category's style template. It didn't seem to have any effect. Again, I don't understand why.

Now I want to revert the category back to "inherit from parent" but can't find any way to do so.

Thanks for your help.

-Barton
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CSS not inheriting Reply with quote

when I went into different categories or sub-categories some of the old color showed up. All of the categories were set to inherit the style template from parent, so my first question is why did that happen?

My guess would be, assuming you did not set any of those other categories to use their own custom style template, that you are using Internet Explorer... It seems that IE is particularly stubborn about caching stylesheets which can make testing your changes particularly difficult in that browser. Try using Firefox instead when editing your stylesheets, it does not seem to have this quirk.

Now I want to revert the category back to "inherit from parent" but can't find any way to do so.

You would click on the Look & Feel > Templates page then click on the category which you want to revert from the Category Tree on the left. You'll see the list of components for that category, they will be listed with a Type of Inherited or Custom. Find the Custom one, and click on Edit. Delete your customizations from the Custom CSS box, and click Save CSS. Now you will see an option to Inherit from parent category. Check that box and click Select Style.

I wanted to change one border color on the "minimalist green" color scheme so I edited the style template for "main", copying everything in the "current css" to an editor, replacing the color (#FF9900) everywhere I found it, then pasting it all into the "custom css" area.

If you're going to be customizing your stylesheet in this fashion, by taking one of our standard templates and making changes via find and replace, I would suggest that you choose "Empty - Custom" as your template, and then paste your entire CSS into the Custom CSS area.

As we noted in this article:

http://forums.blogharbor.com/viewtopic.php?p=2193#2193

your weblog loads the Current CSS as the default stylesheet, then loads a second CSS template with your customizations from the Custom CSS area. In this manner, you can make small tweaks to your stylesheet by entering only the elements you want to change in the Custom CSS area. By doing your changes this way, your customizations are also portable across themes. If you choose to only customize the fonts, then if you switch from the Slate to the Salmon theme, your custom fonts will come too...

That will not apply if you are entering the entire stylesheet into the Custom CSS area. Which is OK, if you prefer making the customizations the way you are doing that works too. But what I would do in that case is to choose the "Empty Custom" stylesheet, since there's no reason to load a primary stylesheet then load a secondary one where every class and attribute will be overridden... That would make your page load slower than necessary and wastes a bit of bandwidth too.

Let us know if that makes sense; if not I'll be glad to clarify.
blistick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I've now made a custom CSS template with the desired code, and also checked to be sure that all of the categories and sub-categories are set to "inherited", and switched to Firefox.

I still see the desired new color (for the center column headings) on the home page, but when I click on a category the old color comes back.

You can see this for yourself if you go to my blog (schoolpartners.blogharbor.com) and then click on the "Schools" category.

btw, I really appreciate your prompt replies.

Best,

Barton
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still see the desired new color (for the center column headings) on the home page, but when I click on a category the old color comes back.

Looks like you made changes to the dayArticles and postDate classes, but there are a couple of other classes you need to make sure you modify... Pages outside of the Main Page show a "breadcrumb" path, the path it takes to get to an article or category. There are three CSS classes which dictate how the breadcrumbs are presented depending on whether the page is a category or article.

Look for the .categoryBreadcrumb, .articleBreadcrumb, and .photoBreadcrumb classes, these are the ones you want to modify. Once you change those, your blog will be on its way.

Last edited by john on Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
blistick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did the trick. Thank you, thank you!
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: