BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Search engine optimisation and Technorati optimisation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connected

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Search engine optimisation and Technorati optimisation Reply with quote

I recently emailed Technorati to find out why my site wasn't being crawled and Technorati told me they weren't crawling my site was because was because Technorati only crawls blog homepages and so wasn't picking up most of my content or my tags because I was only posting extracts on my homepage.

I've realised that this is probably the case with most search engines/blog directories so my tip is - only post full articles not extracts on your homepage. Such a small change, but it will will make a lot of difference.

Also, although Blogware automatically pings Technorati every time you make a post, I'm pretty certain they only ping Technorati with your post categories so these are the only tags that will show up in Technorati. After a bit of fiddling around I managed to write some code that automatically creates Technorati tags out of the keywords I assign to each post. To get the code click here

http://www.connectedinternet.co.uk/blog/_archives/2005/8/3/1103248.html

It's easy to add and hey presto you will it will automatically generate Technorati keywords for each post!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Search engine optimisation and Technorati optimisation Reply with quote

I recently emailed Technorati to find out why my site wasn't being crawled and Technorati told me they weren't crawling my site was because was because Technorati only crawls blog homepages and so wasn't picking up most of my content or my tags because I was only posting extracts on my homepage.

It seems like what they said was that you weren't posting the tags to your homepage, not that you were posting extracts to your homepage. So it wasn't the lack of the full text article that was the problem, but the lack of the tags...

FYI, I'm pretty surprised that Technorati does not follow permalinks, but they did come out and say so...

I've realised that this is probably the case with most search engines/blog directories so my tip is - only post full articles not extracts on your homepage.

Not sure I would agree with this, most blog search engines, PubSub for example, would be primarily indexing your RSS feed, not your HTML pages. And most major search engines like Yahoo or Google will get all of your pages anyway...

Honestly, and Technorati's own Dave Sifry has admitted this, I think Technorati's search engine is feeling the strain of the growth of the blogosphere right now... I wouldn't recommend that our users change the way they want to blog to accommodate Technorati's current shortcomings. How much traffic are they going to send you anyway? A fraction of what Google will... So if you want to post that way, that's great. But I don't think it's absolutely necessary. The majority of search engines will index your content just fine.

As noted above, apparently you simply need to make sure your tags are shown on the home page and not only on the permanent link.

Also, although Blogware automatically pings Technorati every time you make a post, I'm pretty certain they only ping Technorati with your post categories so these are the only tags that will show up in Technorati.

Not entirely correct, we actually ping with less information than that. Wink As does everyone else; the ping protocol only sends 2 bits of information: a title of a blog and its URL. That's it. There's a new version of the ping protocol called extended ping which adds a third bit of information, the URL of the RSS or Atom feed of the blog, and that is becoming the new standard. We send extended pings.

What happens after the ping is sent is up to the pingee. The pinger just says: I've updated! Originally the only purpose of pings was to create the recently updated list of blogs at www.weblogs.com. Now, search engines act on the information that a site has updated, but the ping protocol does not tell the pingee what was updated, that's entirely up to the pingee to figure out.

After a bit of fiddling around I managed to write some code that automatically creates Technorati tags out of the keywords I assign to each post.

We actually wrote a How To article last month explaining the same idea, Implement Technorati Tags on your Blog. The instructions are nearly identical. But we explained how to make the changes to the article template, and from what the Technorati staffer mentioned on your blog it seems as if the customization must be applied to the category template. For aesthetic reasons, I would think it would be best to have them on the article's permalink as well as the category page, though as we've now learned, the only required tags would be in the category...

Thanks for sharing this info about the necessity of adding the tags to the category page. We'll update our instructions accordingly.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: