BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Adding Custom Content to Articles and Article Pages
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: google ads Reply with quote

If you have several Google ads and Google doesn't have enough unique ads to show, then what happens is Google will blank out some ads.

I think they also limit the number of ads they will display on the page. I think the limit is 3, though I have heard that some accounts have a higher max than others...
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: follow up -- ads in every article Reply with quote

Great stuff, Tiger! I'm sure these articles will be read and reread by many users!

No, I don't think you can have the ad show in every article in the Main Page using BlogHarbor templates. Or rather, I haven't found out how to.

You can edit the category template to have content displayed on every article in a category. I think the issue is that Google will generally show only 3 Adsense blocks on any page, and will stop displaying ads after the first 3. So although your categories may be configured to display an Adsense ad on every article, Google will only send you 3 ads... That's why the ads don't show on every article in category view.

Another benefit is that excerpts prevent fake blogs from stealing your content. These types of blogs usually do glorified screen scraping. Thus, if you show an article's full content on the Main Page, then the fakers can get your whole article and profit from your work product.

Unfortunately, this is not true, most fake blogs do not screen scrape* to get the content of your blog, they just take the content right from your RSS feed... This is why I have heard RSS referred to as Really Simple Stealing...

By using excerpts, your RSS feed does not contain the full text of your article, and that is why your content will not appear on fake blogs...

*screen scraping means to use a program to read a computer screen, in this case, the HTML code of a web page, and do something with the contents of that screen. It's usually used to refer to a process where you have no way to get only the data you want (get me the temperature in Boise Idaho), so you have to scrape through the screen to find the information that you are looking for (ask weather.com for the info and try to sort through all the page returned for just the numbers which show the temperature).
tigersi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Read more Reply with quote

Netsense -- I just noticed your "read more" question.

John gave a tip on how to change the content from "more" in this thread

The querent in this article changed to "Read the remainder of this article here" while I substituted "Read More."

http://forums.blogharbor.com/viewtopic.php?t=1196
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: