BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Group blog, but only one person has access to control panel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Group blog, but only one person has access to control panel? Reply with quote

Is this possible?

What I would like is to be able to post articles with different author names, but I don't want to allow any other users to access the control panel, and I also don't want to create a bunch of fake users and log in and out to change the author name that is displayed with each article.

I just want to be able to post articles as usual, and somehow, to sometimes display a different author name.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Group blog, but only one person has access to control pa Reply with quote

This is not possible, the only way to post as another user is to actually login as another user...
Robin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Thank you, as always, for the rapid reply.

One more related question:

Can I make the author name be the "first name" rather than the "display name"? I assume I can (possibly) do so by changing this line in the article & category templates:

"<a href="javascript:openWindow('{{view_user_url}}', 'info', 450, 600);">{{var name=author escape=html}}</a>"

but not sure what to change. (Adding:) Also, if possible, I would prefer that the author name just appear as text, and not a link.

If this should be a separate post, just let me know and I'll move it.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I make the author name be the "first name" rather than the "display name"? I assume I can (possibly) do so by changing this line in the article & category templates:

Uhnfortunately no, this is not possible. The author variable corresponds to the Disaply Name, and no other author name variables are available to you in the templates.

Also, if possible, I would prefer that the author name just appear as text, and not a link.

In this case, you should change the code you noted here:

Code:
<a href="javascript:openWindow('{{view_user_url}}', 'info', 450, 600);">{{var name=author escape=html}}</a>

and remove the link portion, and you just get this:

Code:
{{var name=author escape=html}}
Robin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John.
biggerfish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Group blog, but only one person has access to control pa Reply with quote

Robin wrote:
I just want to be able to post articles as usual, and somehow, to sometimes display a different author name.

Hi Robin - I've done exactly what you want to do. The code and related discussion is here:

http://forums.blogharbor.com/viewtopic.php?p=3440#3440

John had suggestion for one set of articles to use a RegExp (regular expression) to find the keyword "Reprint: " in the title, and then display the author information differently. That would work if I only had one account, but I found it easier to work with my real account and a dummy account. That's what I'm doing now.

Reply if you need help with this.
Robin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Thank you so much, that is a big help. I will get working on this over the weekend, and will be post again here if I can't get it right.
biggerfish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: No Swest... Reply with quote

Glad to help. Another thing I forgot to mention: I use an external editor to publish posts. It's very easy to post with Account A or Account B at will, just by writing the post, and selecting the correct account to post "from" -

I use MarsEdit on a Mac, it does a fine job, if you're on a PC I'm sure there are tons of options.
Robin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thanks, everything is set up and working perfectly!
biggerfish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Yay! Reply with quote

Goody! Please post again if you run into trouble down the line...
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: