BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
gif anim question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyrunner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: gif anim question Reply with quote

looking at the long banner i now have in the header John

there's some colored circles at the left end - text at the right end - white space in the middle

in that empty middle section i now want to put some gif animation

your advice please about the following

Ive considered that i could leave it as one long banner with a gif animation in the middle

alternatively i could break it up into three smaller sections, with the animation only in the middle section - as long as when i load the three sections - i get the illusion of a continuous white background running the length of the banner

there might be a third alternative -
you've mentioned in an earlier post there is a technique for overlaying text over a banner - perhaps there's a technique i can use to overlay and position a gif animation in that middle section of the banner ? since it'll be a white background over a white background, there'll be no probs. with background match and no need for transparency ?

what do you think John ?

http://www.skymondo.com
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: gif anim question Reply with quote

you've mentioned in an earlier post there is a technique for overlaying text over a banner

There is not a consistent behavior for animated GIFs used as the background of a cell via CSS (wow, was that a complex statement), so that technique would not be advisable here.

Ive considered that i could leave it as one long banner with a gif animation in the middle

I don't see why you wouldn't want to do it this way. I can't see any advantage to splitting it up. If the gif animation is done right, you won't see any significant difference in file size.
skyrunner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: gif anim Reply with quote

thanks for that John

the reason for splitting it up was exactly, as you picked up, because i thought the file size would be smaller, since there would be a much smaller box ( background ) around the animation

it surpises me still, that there wiill be no difference. in file size - still getting my head around that.

have you got anything in mind when you say -
if the gif animation is done right ?

the way i would do it is to make the present long banner, into the background - and then animate on the one layer thats left to me - the animation layer - fortunately the gif animation module in Xara, allows me to do this

john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: gif anim Reply with quote

Gifs are small in the first place, and good graphics programs already know how to solve this problem. (That's all I meant by 'done right'.)

Just make your gif, add it to your blog, and don't sweat it. Wink According to this service, your page already loads as a total of 608K including 470K of images. Another 10k or 20k gif is not going to affect page load times one bit.
skyrunner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: gifs again Reply with quote

got it ! will do .. !

gif animations are great being so small !

there overlooked little gems to some extent i think -
they dont have sound though - however even that, is an advantage, and a disadvantage

thanks for the comments John

Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: