BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to hide my locked contents from Google's search?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shenia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: How to hide my locked contents from Google's search? Reply with quote

I've locked most contents of my blog from public,
but still can access those articles in the locked categories from Google's search result.
How to make them totally unaccessible? even from google's archive page?
Thanks.
tenoarman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to hide my locked contents from Google's search? Reply with quote

shenia wrote:
I've locked most contents of my blog from public,
but still can access those articles in the locked categories from Google's search result.
How to make them totally unaccessible? even from google's archive page?
Thanks.

Is this flaw for real, John? I hope not.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to hide my locked contents from Google's search? Reply with quote

It is not possible for Google to access your restricted categories, Shenia. If an article appears in Google, that would be because you posted it to an unrestricted category, either currently or in the past.

Perhaps you posted the article to an unrestricted category and then later restricted access to that category or moved the article to a restricted category? If that is the case, that you once had an article in a public area, then it's natural that Google or any of the search engines indexed your content... Once you make something public, and it is indexed, your act of adding the content to a restricted category does not remove it from the search engines.

This is not something unique to your blog, our service, or blogs in general. It's simply a fact of life on the web. If CNN creates a page, Google and Yahoo etc. index that page, and CNN later removes that page, the act of removal does not make it disappear from the Google or Yahoo...

I see that your blog now contains only restricted categories. We've visited your site in the past, and remember from those previous visits that your blog previously had unrestricted categories and had a number of articles that were available to the public. I would expect that those are the articles you are referring to in your question, previously public articles that now are contained in a restricted category.

I am not aware of anything you can do to immediately alter Google's current search results, though it is possible that in the future Google may revisit your pages and see that they now return "The entry you are requesting has restricted viewing privileges." and update their index accordingly.

So to summarize, no it is not possible for Google to access your restricted categories and index restricted content in those categories. However, if you post an article to an unrestricted category it is quite possible, and likely, that Google will index it. Moving the article to an unrestricted category will not change the fact that Google has already indexed your article. It is not possible for anyone on the net to immediately remove an entry from a search engine results page by deleting, altering, or restricting access to the original content for that entry.
tenoarman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to know. I think the subject lines still appear so I'll make sure to label locked content in my own way.
shenia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, John!
Now I've got better understanding and control over the contents of my blog.
I've been very proud of BlogHarbor and has referred my friends to your service.
Really appreciative of your prompt support!!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenoarman wrote:
Great to know. I think the subject lines still appear so I'll make sure to label locked content in my own way.

That's a good observation and it has been noted; it's true only if you know the actual URL... If you want to change this, you can do it yourself by modifying your blog's base template. Look where it says this:

Code:
<title>{{blog.name}}{{if page.title}} :: {{page.title}}{{/if}}</title>

and change it to something like this:

Code:
<title>{{blog.name}}
   {{if article.access_denied}}
      :: <%= gettext("The entry you are requesting has restricted viewing privileges.") %>
   {{elsif page.title}}
       :: {{page.title}}
   {{/if}}
</title>
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shenia wrote:
Thank you, John!
Now I've got better understanding and control over the contents of my blog.
I've been very proud of BlogHarbor and has referred my friends to your service.
Really appreciative of your prompt support!!

Thank you very much, it's very nice to hear you say that!
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: