BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What if I turned commenting off and how would I do it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
des

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: What if I turned commenting off and how would I do it? Reply with quote

After I enthused a colleague about BlogHarbor as a great blogging platform, he tried to post a comment on my blog and then went through the dance of figuring out and signing up for a Reader account. He is now convinced it is all too hard and if he uses BlogHarbor for his business blog he will lose customers. He wants to know whether we could turn commenting off.

I don't think he's really got what blogging is about, but I found it an interesting question. John?
Author, 7 Step Business Blog
http://www.7stepbusinessblog.com
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: What if I turned commenting off and how would I do it? Reply with quote

He wants to know whether we could turn commenting off.

Yes, of course you can turn comments off. There is a whole section in the manual on Setting Blog Commenting Defaults. See the page on Enabling and Disabling Comments.

The Publisher's Manual really does have a lot of information. I think that the best way to get the most out of our manual or any technical manual is not necessarily to read the manual inside and out but to become very familiar with the table of contents. It's not necessary that you know everything, but that you know where to go to learn, as my dad always used to say. If you study the table of contents of the manual rather than the manual itself, you'll probably start picking up things more quickly as the next time a question comes to mind, you'll probably immediately think of the section of the manual to look it up in.

After I enthused a colleague about BlogHarbor as a great blogging platform, he tried to post a comment on my blog and then went through the dance of figuring out and signing up for a Reader account.

We rarely comment on what features are forthcoming, but I am going to break that rule just this once. Wink

Within the month (if all goes as planned), we expect to release a significant update to the commenting system. We're adding a middle ground between anonymous and unauthenticated users (users who haven't signed in to your blog with their Reader Account) to provide a way for your vistors to comment without authenticating but still leave Contact Information; i.e. their name, email address, and URL.

Some details to be worked out, but you're going to get a significant upgrade in this area very soon. And this upgrade will include comment moderation features! This whole path of development was all about answering concerns like those voiced by your colleague, so I think you'll see the majority of those concerns addressed in a very short time.

More information about this upcoming release in a few weeks...
des

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

Yes, RTFM or RTFMIndex is good advice and I am suitably chastened Embarassed . I actually thought it would not be possible to turn off commenting, so I realise I should be more open-minded!

Thank you for sharing the upcoming upgrade info with us. That is very welcome news! Very Happy

Des
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, RTFM or RTFMIndex is good advice and I am suitably chastened

Didn't mean for it to come off as chastening. Wink
des

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
>Yes, RTFM or RTFMIndex is good advice and I am suitably chastened

Didn't mean for it to come off as chastening.

I know, but it was a good reminder!
fmkatz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Vestigial comment fields? Reply with quote

I turned off comments yesterday (as per TFM) and it worked just fine for new postings. But, the older postings still have all the comment fields.
Is that how it's supposed to be?

Also, speaking of the manual: any chance of a PDF version being made available?
Thanks,
Fred Katz
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vestigial comment fields? Reply with quote

I turned off comments yesterday (as per TFM) and it worked just fine for new postings. But, the older postings still have all the comment fields.

Unfortunately there is no "master switch" to turn off comments on previous posts, you would need to turn off comments on a per article basis. After this week's update, you will be able to turn moderation on for comments on a global basis. If you choose this option, your past posts would allow comments but they would not be displayed on the blog immediately, they would sit in a queue waiting for your approval.

Also, speaking of the manual: any chance of a PDF version being made available?

Yes, there is a chance. Wink
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: