BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
iTunes Support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: iTunes Support Reply with quote

I need to get my Podcast updated with Author and Picture/Logo on iTunes. I have the No. 1 Podcast for my most important keyword, but it shows Author Unknown and no Logo/Picture.

I know that Blogharbor does not currently (fully) support iTunes so until that day comes, I need a work-around. I would like to keep my podcast at Blogharbor, but I now have no choice but to figure out a way to get my feed displaying the proper information.

Please Help!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: iTunes Support Reply with quote

Since our RSS feeds are dynamically generated, it is not possible for you to alter the output of the feed at this time. Which means that unfortunately you are unable to enter any of these iTunes-specific tags into your RSS feed, though an not-too-distant update to the system will allow you to customize your RSS feed.

One of the problems with iTunes is that it does not provide a way for you to make a change to the URL of your RSS feed without writing something into the RSS feed itself, which according to Apple iTunes Technical Specifications is the only way to get iTunes to changes its mind about where it thinks your RSS feed is located. So it is not possible for you to redirect iTunes to another URL for your RSS feed for the same reason we spoke of in the preceding paragraph.

I don't know if you would want to do this, but if you can't wait for us to provide support for RSS templating and you needed to be in iTunes now with a logo and author name, you could ask iTunes to remove your current feed, and resubmit a new feed. If you wanted to go that route, and I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but for the new feed you could use Feedburner to enhance your existing RSS feed for use with iTunes. That would create a new feed at a new URL which is based on your current RSS feed but then enhanced by Feedburner, allowing you to add all of the iTunes only extensions and even do things like splice in attachments from other sources, so you could use services like OurMedia which according to their home page provides "free storage and free bandwidth for your videos, audio files, photos, text or software. Forever. No catches."

Hope this provides you with some idea about your options.
dissident vox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John I agree with TY about the crying need for this at least I have a crying need for it! Laughing

I find the whole thing terribly confusing and also feel its perhaps retarding my podcasts growth, because I can't get properly listed as a featured podcast.

I know you've suggested the feedburner route in the past. I rejected it then out of a sense of overwhelming confusion at how complex implementing it seemed to me at the time. Still 'times' have moved on and given there doesn't seem to be any movement on doing it in blogharbor I guess I need to switch now.

Assuming I do wish to use Feedburner. I have an obvious question. (Obvious to you not to me)Very Happy

I submmitted my Main RSS/XML feed way-back when to iTunes. Assuming I now wish to change this, and I contact iTunes to cancel it, does this mean I will lose all my present subscribers, or is there a way to work round this whole feed migration thing..?

-----------------------------------------

Actually having refound some of the other posts on this topic I'm even more confused. What is the best all round solution. All I want is for nothing to break too badly, and to be able to use the additional itunes tags to enhance my podcast in iTunes..

What do i bleedin do..? I'm going to bed!

John this shouldn't be this brain bendingly hard. How is an average person expected to understand all this..? Its my only real criticism..

Last edited by dissident vox on Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:56 am; edited 2 times in total
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing further we can add at this time beyond which was not said in my response you are quoting.
  • We will be implementing RSS templating this year.
  • We can't give you a definitive date at this time.
  • This statement: So it is not possible for you to redirect iTunes to another URL for your RSS feed for the same reason we spoke of in the preceding paragraph. is still true..
Sorry but there's nothing I can add to that at this time.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I want is for nothing to break too badly, and to be able to use the additional itunes tags to enhance my podcast in iTunes..

I understand that it's not that answer you want to hear, but we do not support these iTunes-only RSS extensions at this time. That's the answer, unfortunately.
dissident vox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I understand that.. What I still wish to know is how YOU would proceed in the mid-term until this is implemented. iTunes is after all the main directory..

Also what do I lose exactly if I implement the feedburner route?

Given the current styling of my site is there anything vital that is likely to go wrong if I i do this?

Quote:
# We will be implementing RSS templating this year.

Please make it soon! Rolling Eyes
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I still wish to know is how YOU would proceed in the mid-term until this is implemented. iTunes is after all the main directory..

If I had a podcast in the iTunes directory, and it had some subscribers, I would do nothing and wait until we bring you some additional options.

For a new podcast, I would absolutely use Feedburner.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: