BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Yet more banner stuff..
Goto page 1, 2  Next 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dissidentvox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Yet more banner stuff.. Reply with quote

John,

I believe you attempted to answer this (or similar) for me before. I don't think I understood it so I'm asking again.

I've just set up another blog here
and am trying again to implement the code to remove the blue border that is wrapped around my head content. I still have it (the blue border) over at dissidentvox but have left it until now.

I would also like to be able to move the banner image down slightly within the table so that there is space between it and the top of the browser page. Any thoughts?

Finally I wish to be able to incorporate clickable links into (or just underneath the banner image. Although not exactly what I'm looking for, I found this blogharbor blog http://www.resultdrivensolutions.com/ that does something along these lines. How do I implement this kind of approach?

Thanks for the help in advance, and sorry for the mutiple questions! Laughing
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet more banner stuff.. Reply with quote

Thanks for the help in advance, and sorry for the mutiple questions!

Yes, we'd actually rather you separate your questions into separate topics, it makes it easier for folks who might be searching for help on a particular topic to find what they are looking for.

I've just set up another blog here and am trying again to implement the code to remove the blue border that is wrapped around my head content. I still have it (the blue border) over at dissidentvox but have left it until now.

I think we answered that question for you last year, here.

I would also like to be able to move the banner image down slightly within the table so that there is space between it and the top of the browser page. Any thoughts?

See the same post above, change the padding attribute to numbers more of your liking. For example, change this:

Code:
table.columns td.header {
    background-color: transparent;
    padding: 6px 0 0 0;
    border-color: #7f99cc;
    border-style: solid;
    border-width: 1px 1px 1px 1px;
}

to this:

Code:
    padding: 35px 0 0 0;
}

Finally I wish to be able to incorporate clickable links into (or just underneath the banner image. Although not exactly what I'm looking for, I found this blogharbor blog http://www.resultdrivensolutions.com/ that does something along these lines. How do I implement this kind of approach?

You'll need to crib a little CSS from somewhere... One of our users had a suggestion on this thread.
dissidentvox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help..

I don't think I made myself clear about the blue border thing.. I would appreciate it if you could take a look at dissidentvox and tell me what I haven't done correctly, because I have not been able to implement this which was why I raised it again. Very Happy

The other suggestions i will work with and if I have any problems get back to you on them 1 issue at a time! Although in my defence they were all questions related to my banner! Wink

Last edited by dissidentvox on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the previous thread was an answer to a similar though not identical question. Same CSS class, and nearly identical answer though. Look at this code you already have in your Custom CSS:

Code:
    background:url('http://www.dissidentvox.com/Banners/BANNER.jpg');
    background-position: top center;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    border-color: ##7f99cc;
}

How would you remove the border? Change it to a 0px border:

Code:
    border-width: 0px;
}
dissidentvox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

well the blue outline around the table has vanished! Which is great..Thanks!

However I can't seem to implement the padding tip, and in addition my banner has now vanished entirely on the dvoxpopz site.

I'm sure it is something that is decidedly obvious to you, but unfortunately it is proving impossible to resolve for me. If you have the time, and can tell me what I have (or have not done) that has resulted in my being unable to achieve these results, you will have once again earned my undying gratitude! Laughing

Regardlesss, thanks for the help and for a great forum..

John B

PS If you think these are bad wait until next week! Laughing
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you are seeing or not seeing (unless you send a screenshot of course), but from here your site looks exactly as would be expected, and I do see the banner.

If you are using Internet Explorer, your browser may be betraying you and showing you cached stylesheets.

Either empty your cache, restart your browser, or restart your computer and I think your logo will magically reappear and things should look as you would expect.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I just was looking at your other site...

Remember, if you add this to your Custom CSS:

Code:
    background:url('http://dvoxpopz.blogware.com/Banners/BANNER.jpg');
}

Then the image at http://dvoxpopz.blogware.com/Banners/BANNER.jpg must exist. It does not, so of course your browser can not display an image that does not exist...

An image does exist here: http://dvoxpopz.blogharbor.com/Banners/BANNER.jpg . Can you spot the difference? Wink
dissidentvox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!! Very Happy

I was unable to see the digital wood fron the pixellated trees! Laughing

Everything looks good now, on a basic level I'm happy. Though my next question concerns the padding or spacing around the image. I've tried increasing the size as you suggested but it hasn't changed anything. Therfore I assume that I haven't done something I need to.

Once more can you take a gander and tell me what that is?

Cheers pal.
JohnB
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First tip, your Custom CSS has this:

Code:
}

background:url(' http://dvoxpopz.blogharbor.com/Banners/BANNER.jpg ');
}

No need to repeat the same class twice, this code says to the browser "Do this for the table.columns td.header class, no wait - do it like this!" If you want to use the second one, remove the first, it will be less confusing to you.

Though my next question concerns the padding or spacing around the image. I've tried increasing the size as you suggested but it hasn't changed anything.

Remember your image is a background, you can add padding or spacing (which you haven't yet done) to the table cell, but you won't technically be adding padding to the image. May seem like a minor distinction, but may be important depending on what you want to do. Which is the next question; before we can offer a suggestion, why don't you describe what you want to see and how what you see now differs from that?
dissidentvox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here's what I currently have after removing the dupicate code as you suggested;

}

I've increased the padding as per your advice but as yet it has no effect.

What I'm seeking is to move the banner image down the table (page) by about the same height as the white block on the banner which contains the words "Citizen Journalism from the UK"

This is part of the banner, but I would like a little 'breathing room' between the top of the page, and the start of the banner.

I hope that's a comprehensible explanation, but let me know if it isn't! Very Happy
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was a little confused by what you were trying to do and how you'd done it earlier in the thread, so let's review what we know so far.

First, your image is a background, not an element inside your table cell; you can add padding to the table cell, but you aren't adding padding to the image. Changing the padding attribute only changes what happens to content in the table cell, not the background image.

To change the position of the background image, you would alter the background-position attribute, which sets the starting position of a background image. Currently, you have it set to top center. Try setting the background-position to center the image horizontally and start 10px from the top using this code:

Code:
    background-position: center 10px ;
}

Please learn more about your options on CSS Background properties here at Westciv's complete css guide to background properties. Spending an hour or two with their CSS tutorial would be time well spent if you wish to make additional customizations to your blog.
dissidentvox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John what a star you are! Thank you! Cool

Very pleased with the result. Of course I have other questions but for now I'll take your advice and head off for a little CSS training.. No doubt I'll be back! Wink

For anyone else reading this who has just started blogging, and is a little confused (just so you know), don't be shy just ask! John and his team will help you make your blog look great, and you learn new skills into the bargain!

Blogharbor is a great service! Wink
dissidentvox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I may have spoken too soon.. It appears to be slow loading in Safari and tanks out totally in IE 5 for the mac... Fine in Firefox though..Thoughts?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're seeing a database slowdown right now and are working on solving it. It's not related to your blog, and you can still keep praising us as you did in your previous message, there's no need to stop.

Now tell us again how great we are...
dissidentvox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to do so!

Blogharbor is great!! Everybody should blog with them! Very Happy

Actually scratch the IE Issue, it just loaded after I emptied the cache..
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: