BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Categories and the Current month component

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dissident vox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Categories and the Current month component Reply with quote

John,

Whilst tweeking away today, I decided to seperate out the text and podcast elements from the main page. Placing the text in a seperate category called 'Articles'

My question is this. Is there a simple way to have my text posts show as dates on the calendar component on the Main Page? That way folks arriving at the front end can see that I have posted an article from looking at the date.

Apologies if this has been asked before.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Categories and the Current month component Reply with quote

The calendar component shows which dates have posts for the category you are viewing... Does that answer your question?
dissident vox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesnt.. Very Happy

I want the calendar component to show that I have posted in other categories rather than just the Main Page. Presently it only shows if I have posted in the Main Page.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The calendar component can only show which dates have posts for the category you are viewing. It can not show links to other categories. So to be clear, the answer is no, the calendar on the Main Page can not show that you have posted in other categories.

The calendar component is dynamic though, so the calendar on the Main Page reflects the content in the Main Page category, the calendar on the Archives category reflects the content in that category, etc.
dissident vox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK fair enough I accept that.. I'll clarify what I'm seeking.. Very Happy

I want to direct attention to the text I am posting in the 'Articles' Category of my blog. whilst minimising the amount of space they take up on the Main Page.

Ideally I would like them to be read in the 'Articles' Category. Thus giving more freedom for people to browse and read other the articles appearing directly below them.

Currently I've tried posting the articles on the Main Page as a short summary, the way this works that seems to affect the layout on in the Articles Category iteself. (They appear in summary form there also). I don't mind them being directed to a seperate page when they access it through the Main Page, but I feel that being able to view only a summary in the 'Article' Category itself makes the whole thing a bit fussy and starts to require a lot of clicking back and forth for not enough return. Shocked

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks!
John B
http://dissidentvox.com
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you've added the Recent Articles component, that would have been my first suggestion.

Another suggestion would be to use the RSS Headline component to display links the current list of articles in onne of your categories. It's a little trick - use one of your own category RSS feeds as an RSS Headline component in your own blog...

Let's try to answer this question: A visitor comes to your blog. What do you want them to do? Is the first thing you want them to do to click through to another category?
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: