BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Limiting text in RSS feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussie Dave

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Limiting text in RSS feed Reply with quote

Hi,

As a way to increase traffic to my blog, I would like to only have an excerpt of my posts in the RSS feed, but the full posts on my main blog page. Is there a way to do this (without having to show posts as excerpts on my blog main page itself)?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Limiting text in RSS feed Reply with quote

By default, our system will publish the excerpt in an RSS feed if an excerpt was included in the post. And our category template will also show that excerpt if it existed... It is however possible to customize the category template to show the full text of the article despite the fact that an excerpt was used; this allows you to add an excerpt to your post which will only appear in your RSS feed while the full text will appear on your blog pages.

You'll need to customize the category template by looking for this text:

Code:
{{if excerpt}}
{{excerpt}}&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span><a href="{{view_url}}" align="right" border="0" width="13" height="13"><gettext></a>&nbsp;<strong>&raquo;</strong></span>
{{else}}
{{body}}
{{/if}}

That is the code that says, if there's an excerpt, show it, along with a link to the Permanent Link, and if there's not an excerpt, then show the full text of the article.

Just change that code block to this:

Code:
{{body}}

Done. Now your category pages will display the full text, even if you use an excerpt for the purpose of having a summary in your RSS feed.
Aussie Dave

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. Sounds like a nice workaround, although long-term it would be nice to be able to configure this separately from the Excerpt setting (since sometimes I would like to show only an excerpt on the blog page).
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: