BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mini-Thumbs Links Under Photo in IE & Firefox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerry

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Mini-Thumbs Links Under Photo in IE & Firefox Reply with quote

Hello John,

I use the Mini-Thumb strip option in a few photo album categories. When the page loads in its category, the first photo in the strip loads full size with the link under it - Leave YYY Comment.

Because a reader might not necessarily want to comment but would nevertheless want more information, he/she may not realise that by clicking on the image, the page will reload with my accompanying information. I therefore wanted to another link below the image in addition to Leave YYY Comment.

On the style sheet (Whiteout), I just added -

.miniThumbLinks Read about this image{
margin-bottom: 12px;

- and this (magically) appears on the relevant page and works in Firefox BUT not in IE 7:

Leave YYY Comment | More Info...

(in Firefox at this URL: http://tasmanianphotographers.blogharbor.com/blog/COLLECTIONS/Nevinfamily)

So I then added to the style sheet

}
}
.commentIndent9 {margin-left:225px;}
.commentIndent10 {margin-left:250px;}

Still no change in IE 7.

Can you provide me with (a) the correct code and placement (b) any additional code for IE 7?

Many thanks & much appreciated,
Kerry at tasmanianphotographers.blogharbor
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mini-Thumbs Links Under Photo in IE & Firefox Reply with quote

First, the "Leave YYY Comment" looks to be a bug from our internationalization release... It should read something like "Leave a comment"... I've submitted a report on that...

Second, you can't just make a CSS entry like this:

Code:
}

I don't know what else to say about it except that there is no CSS class on the blog called miniThumbLinks Read about this image so it's not just something you can plug into your stylesheet and expect to change anything... CSS changes the way content is presented, it's not possible for you to change the stylesheet and have words added to a page... CSS changes presentation, not structure. If you are interested in a CSS tutorial, I recommend this one.

Because a reader might not necessarily want to comment but would nevertheless want more information

That's why we included a link by default on those pages, the text of which is More Info. Unfortunately, that link and the text on that page appears to be "hard wired" into the page when choosing the Mini-Thumbs option. I don't have a way to advise you on how to modify the structure of that page at this time. If I learn of a way to do so, I will be sure to post here.
kerry

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: More Info ... as Mini-Thumb link Reply with quote

Hello John,

Thank you for the fast response.
I was pretty certain words can't be added to the CSS. BUT (!! the magic goes on) I will leave the words I have added on the CSS sheet, because they seem to function in the space where you intended the More Info.. default code (works for Firefox, not IE 7)

As such, these are working as two different links: Leave YYY Comment | More Info...

(1) Leave YYY comment opens exactly on the Login for the comment box with URL #post-comment (reader needs to scroll up to see information added about the photo), whereas

(2) the More Info... opens at the top of the page with category and archive URL.

I noticed that if there is no additional information added to the photo in the text box, the More Info... link doesn't show.

I have already modified the Category template to add "Read the rest of the article" in place of "more ..." - I was hoping the same operation could be performed for this area too.

Will keep posted on this,
Cheers
Kerry at tasmanianphotographers.blogharbor
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: More Info ... as Mini-Thumb link Reply with quote

I was pretty certain words can't be added to the CSS. BUT (!! the magic goes on) I will leave the words I have added on the CSS sheet, because they seem to function in the space where you intended the More Info.. default code (works for Firefox, not IE 7)

Not sure what it could be doing, but if it works for you...

I noticed that if there is no additional information added to the photo in the text box, the More Info... link doesn't show.

Yes, the link does not show if there is no body text.

I have already modified the Category template to add "Read the rest of the article" in place of "more ..." - I was hoping the same operation could be performed for this area too.

As mentioned in my previous reply, the More Info link in the Mini-Thumbs JS layout can not be modified since the Javascript which creates this link is not exposed in a template, it is "hard-wired" or system-generated and can not be modified.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: