BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Categories menu not showing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colincolenso

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Categories menu not showing. Reply with quote

The Main Page catories links are showing on all my category pages except this one:
http://www.cue-tv.com/blog/8BallVideos

Compare it to another category where the Main Page categories links can be seen in the left column.
http://www.cue-tv.com/blog/9BallVideos

I don't know how this happened. Is there a way to fix it so I can see the Main Page categories listing on the page I refered to?

Thanks,
Colin
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Categories menu not showing. Reply with quote

This is because you applied a category-specfic Layout to the "8BallVideos" category. It's possible to specifiy Layouts and Templates on a per categOry basis, and in the Layout you applied to this category you have no Category Tree. You can remove the category-specfic Layout from this category so that it will inherit the charecteristics of its parent category "Main Page":

1) Login to the control panel.

2) Click the Look and Feel tab, then the Layout submenu.

3) Now look to the left of the page at the "Category Tree" and click on "8BallVideos".

4) You will see this text at the top of the page:
Quote:
The components in this category are different from the parent category. If you want the components in this category to match those of the parent, please select Revert to Default.

Click on "Revert to Default" and this category should look like its parent, or you can simply make any changes you want to it independent of its parent category..
colincolenso

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Fixed Reply with quote

Thanks John,
I wonder how I did that Embarassed
Colin
colincolenso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Continued problem Reply with quote

John,
Today I added a column so I could add google adsense to my site.

I've followed the directions for setting column widths on the relevant threads here, but it's just not working or I'm missing something.

What is weird is that the problem I mentioned at the start of this thread has returned, despite that fact that my 8ball page is set to inherent parent permissions. It seems to be reacting very differently to my style sheet commands.

I want to set my body width at 900, my left column to 210px and the right column to 170px.

Can you see where I'm going wrong?

Colin
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Continued problem Reply with quote

It's important to remember that we're not as familiar with your blog as you are, so you need to fill us in with a little more information. Try to answer these questions with as much detail as possible whenever you need help:

• What did you do?
  • What did you think would happen?
  • What happened instead?

That will really help us to get it right the first time, or the second time at least. Wink

Quote:
Today I added a column so I could add google adsense to my site.

You mean a component? You added a custom component containing a Google Adsense unit?

Quote:
I want to set my body width at 900, my left column to 210px and the right column to 170px. Can you see where I'm going wrong?

You added this to your Custom CSS:

Code:
/* Setting the Column Widths*/
table.columns {
   width: 900px;
   margin-left: auto;
   margin-right: auto;
}

table.columns td.left {
    width: 25%;
}

Try this:

Code:
/* Setting the Column Widths*/
table.columns {
   width: 900px;
   margin-left: auto;
   margin-right: auto;
}

table.columns td.left {
    width: 210px;
}

table.columns td.left {
    width: 170px;
}

And see where that gets you. And don't forget that the math (900-210-170=520) leaves you only 520 pixels in the center column, so a video playlist 530 pixels wide would blow the design...
colincolenso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Fixed it..thanks. Reply with quote

Thanks John,

What I had done was changed by blog from 2 to 3 columns so I could add a column for adsense on my site www.cue-tv.com

This naturally squashed up the left column.

One of the pages I checked had squashed the center column also. This got me confused. I thought my style setting changes were having different effects on different pages. But after you mentioned the width of the video components in my body section, I realized my other pages had a component which was wider and it was hence forcing the center column to be wider.

The solution was simple. Just to make it all wider....about 100 pixels wider fixed all the pages straight away.

Now I can tweak the numbers as required to get the fit just right.

Thanks again,
Colin
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: