BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Inserting an icon into post body

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gristgal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Inserting an icon into post body Reply with quote

Hi John,

I'd like to be able to add - as an occasional thing, not a regular component, so I don't want to put it in components - a 120 X 240 (wXh) pixel icon into the body of posts to recommend a book on the current topic, whatever it might be. I tried inserting the code, but on preview, it didn't work, and just displayed the code.

I created a file - of necessity a text file - on my HD with the code in it, and uploaded it to the file manager. The add image applet refused to see it in the file manager because it's not a graphics file. I also tried adding the URL (with code) through the window for URLs, but that didn't work, either. Having the URL without the code totally defeats my purpose. Sad

How can I do this, please?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Inserting an icon into post body Reply with quote

I tried inserting the code, but on preview, it didn't work, and just displayed the code.

If I understand you correctly, you have the Rich Text Editor enabled and are pasting in HTML code when the editor is in Display Mode; you need to flip to Source Mode to paste in HTML source code.

One tip: If you are trying to enter actual Javascript code (as opposed to links to external Javascript resources) or IFRAMEs, you may wish to disable the Rich Text Editor. Since the RTE itself is written in Javascript with an IFRAME, using that Javascript and IFRAMEs with Javascript and IFRAMEs gets a little too recusrsive, and results are unpredictable.
gristgal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I went to source code and pasted the code and got the Duh! moment. Oh, for a :smacks head: icon! Smile

Thanks, but all is not well yet. The text isn't wrapping! And the code produces a 120X240 skyscraper smack in the middle of the paragraph that I want to flow smoothly around it. I went back to the source and got an alternate coding for an icon that's 120X150, but that doesn't really help. I've tried pasting it before, in the middle of, and after. It just sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb, no matter where it is. I really need the text to flow, because the 120X150 isn't an attractive presentation; the 120X240 is ... if only the text will snuggle up next to it! Crying or Very sad

Is there some special way of formatting that paragraph to make it scrunch over to make room?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some special way of formatting that paragraph to make it scrunch over to make room?

No, but HTML usually works the other way, you can use an ALIGN tag to cause an IMaGe to move left or right. If you had an example of the code posted to your blog, we might be able to advise further.
gristgal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by example of the code you mean what I'm trying to display, here it is, minus the URL & other specific content:

<iframe src="http://specific URL & qualifiers " style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I hope that's what you meant. Smile

I would prefer it to appear at the right margin, with the text flowing to its left. In my initial case, the para I want to put it next to references the book, so it will look perfectly natural if the image is next to the paragraph.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this page for reference information on coding IFRAMEs.

By best guess for you is that this would work:

Code:
<iframe src="http://specific URL & qualifiers " style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" ALIGN="RIGHT"></iframe>

Good luck!
gristgal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, you're amazing. It works, it works.

Hooray! Hurrah! Yahoo! Yippee! Woohoo! Yee-hah! and all that stuff. Very Happy

Thank you, thank you. You can't even imagine how it made me feel when it popped in place where I wanted it, with the text snuggled up like a sleepy puppy.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: