BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
FTP info for blog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dissident vox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: FTP info for blog Reply with quote

John, Im trying to configure Dreamweaver to work with my blog via FTP. Can you clarify the FTP settings I need to set-up. I'm assuming the following;

FTP host: www.dissidentvox.com
Host directory: Not sure of this setting
Login: Same as my Admin setup
Password: As above

I'm guessing the info that is wrong relates to the host directory. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John B
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: FTP info for blog Reply with quote

Just so you are clear, you can not actually edit your blog pages with Dreamweaver. You might be able to create and edit additional web pages you want to share and add them to your site, but you can not say edit an existing post with Dreamweaver.

I'm assuming the following;

FTP host: www.dissidentvox.com
Host directory: Not sure of this setting
Login: Same as my Admin setup
Password: As above

You can leave the Host directory empty, that will set your upload to the default directory which is the top level of your File Manager. The only thing you need to fix is to make sure your Login or Username is of the form username@blog address. So if your admin username is fred, you need to enter fred@www.dissidentvox.com as the Login username.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: FTP info for blog Reply with quote

Just so you are clear, you can not actually edit your blog pages with Dreamweaver. You might be able to create and edit additional web pages you want to share and add them to your site, but you can not say edit an existing post with Dreamweaver.

And just to be even clearer, since I think I wasn't specific enough... You can create additional pages which are not managed by your blog, but you can not create a post for example or modify your blog's Main Page.

That all being said, one really cool feature of our service is that you can create a file named index.html and upload it to your site at the top level of the file manager/ftp site, and it will load as the default page when you access your site at the top level address of www.dissidentvox.com.

This allows you to create a set of pages that acts as a kind of layer above your blog... When visitors access the www.dissidentvox.com URL they would start at the index.html page you create, which might contain links to other static HTML pages you create as well as links to your blog pages.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: