BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Signing up for notifications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlwaltherjr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Signing up for notifications Reply with quote

I have moved my BLOG from Blogdrive.com to Blogharbor. On Blogdrive.com all a reader had to do to receive notification of a new post was to type in an email address in a little box on my main page. I was able to see all of those email addresses by going into my control panel on Blogdrive.com. There were, literally, tons of them.

I have allowed notifcations in Blogharbor. However, I am receiving emails from readers who are telling me that they are not receiving the notifications. When I open my control panel and go to subscribers, there are none listed. Have I failed to do something?

I've read the manual on-line. It may as well be in Greek. Do I need to do anything other than allow for notifications? The from address reads truefactseditor@comcast.net because this a special inbox that I use to receive email about my articles.

Most of my readers are still reading me at Blogdrive.com because I have not officially shut the site down. I know this because I am receiving an average of between 550 and 3,000 emails a week and my site stats at Blogdrive.com are still very high.

While I am retired, I now get paid for what I write. Several print media outlets download my columns. Fot this reason, I do not permit comments directly to the BLOG. I tried permitting comments a year and a half ago, when I began this project. It turned into a spam fiasco. I discontinued the practice. At the end of each week's column is a notice and a hyperlink to a special inbox to reply to the column.

Any help, simplified so that a computer simpleton can understand it will be greatly appreciated.

Joe Walther
http://thetruefacts.blogharbor.com
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing up for notifications Reply with quote

In order for someone to signup for notifications on your blog, they would need to 1) create a "Reader Account" and 2) login to your blog and subscribe to receive notifications.

Once someone has a Reader Account, they can login to your blog and choose to receive notifications to all of your posts or only posts to specific categories. You as a publisher can configure the content of those notifications as explained in this page in the user manual.

In order for this to work, you need to be sure that the Login and Logout components are in your sidebar Columns, and that the Email Notifications component is in your Header (Look & Feel > Layout in your control panel).

Yes it is a little bit complicated, we will be streamlining the process and integrating some of these features more tightly in an update later this year.

If you want something simpler, try Feedblitz. It's a free service which makes it easy for your users to request email notifications of your blog posts, and can be added to your blog just by creating a custom component containing the code that Feedblitz will supply you with.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing up for notifications Reply with quote

I just came across another service called Zookoda which seems to allow you to bolt on newsletter/mailing list service. They describe themselves as follows:

Quote:
Zookoda is an email marketing application designed specifically for bloggers. Zookoda enables you to send a daily, weekly or monthly summary of your latest blog posts directly into your vistors inbox.

Might be worth a look.
jlwaltherjr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Signing up for notifications Reply with quote

I will contact Zookoda. I've sent you, via private email, a comment on Feedblitz. So far, it has taken me an average of 3 and a half days to receive a reply from them, even then, the information is useless.

Feedblitz works some of the time. I have had readers testing it for me. Some receive confirming emails almost immediately. Others never receive a confirming email.

In the meantime, I can see from my Feedblitz Dashboard, severa subscribers still subscribing. This has been going on for several days. The ones still subscribing are the same ones who did not receive confirming email.

I'm still waiting for some sort of a reply from Feedblitz.

I may be doing something wrong, but I'll never know for sure if they don't reply to me.

If anyone out there is using Feedblitz and can shed some light on this, would you please do so.

Thank you.

Joseph Walther
jlwaltherjr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Signing up for notifications Reply with quote

This is a follow-up on this topic. I've used Zookoda instead of Feedblitz. The Zookoda opt-in form is quick and simple. They also respond almost immediately with help.

I'm still waiting for a reply from Feedblitz. So, I cancelled the subscriptions through them and notified them not to bother responding.

Joe Walther
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Signing up for notifications Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, Joe. Zookoda does look like a sophisticated service and we hope that they make you happy. Please post a note here when you've done your 1,000 mile road test on the service and can give it the thumbs up!
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: