BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Really weird formatting problems today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gristgal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Really weird formatting problems today Reply with quote

John, please take a look at the draft post entitled "horse care" in my post manager (http://gristandgristle.blogharbor.com/blog). I don't mean look at display mode; it's the draft mode that's absolutely scary.

That's the end product of several attempts to make the text appear properly. I copied both things into a text file, and started over. However, just now when I did the first font format change (size), it did the same thing it did to me the first time (this afternoon) - it clipped a hunk of text, pasted it at the bottom, and left it unformatted.

I'm going to move that section back where it belongs, clean up the format codes, and try to proceed. (Yes, I'm still working in display mode, and just going to source to see what's happening. Maybe one day I'll go back to doing it the other way.)

I've had chunks of text gratuitously moved before, but never the same exact one. I don't think I've had this particular concatenation before, though. And I'm absolutely certain I've never had such a totally bizarre end product as the file I'm asking you to look at.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Really weird formatting problems today Reply with quote

I looked at your draft post and it looked fine to me... Nothing scary that I can see, so I guess you already solved the problem.

If you're experiencing problems with our builtin Rich Text Editor, there is an alternative if you are using Firefox as your web browser. Try installing the Xinha Here! extension, which provides enhanced support for tables, image alignment, and lists. One neat thing about using it is that you will be able to edit your summaries in WYSISYG html mode...
gristgal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have missed the point about looking at the source display. After I got through re-positioning all the text back where it belonged, there were font & size codes inserted about every other word (hyperbole, but not as gross an exaggeration as you'd think). Talk about a mess!

After one of the upgrades back last spring (I think it was), suddenly I got only one font format at the beginning, with the /font at the end (excluding specifications of italics or bold). This was a vast improvement; it made reading the source dispslay ever so much easier.

During whatever happened, it inserted one with each link, and after each link, and at the beginnings of each paragraph, and everywhere I moved text. Like I said, a mess.

Would it be easier if I emailed you a file with the garbage clearly displayed, and not in a teeny font?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I misunderstood, when you said it's the draft mode that's absolutely scary you meant it's the source mode...

The Rich Text Editor exists to help you create better looking output, not to help you create the most elegant source code. The more changes you make to your article, the more likely it is that the source code we create for you will look funky. If your output looks fine, then there is really no need to be concerned about what your source looks like. If you want cleaner looking source, then your alternatives might be to write your own HTML, to disable the Rich Text Editor, or perhaps to install the Xinha extension I referred to in my previous post.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: