BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Effect of Deleting Sub-Categories and Categories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
des

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Effect of Deleting Sub-Categories and Categories Reply with quote

Having let my categories flourish like a hundred flowers blooming, I have now adopted a less anarchic approach and am in the process of deleting sub-categories and categories. But first I'm editing the affected posts and re-publishing them.

This is a very slow process and I will do it if I have to, but I'm wondering if I am missing a simpler approach.

What would happen to the relevant posts if I deleted a bunch of sub-categories and categories which are currently in use?
Author, 7 Step Business Blog
http://www.7stepbusinessblog.com
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Effect of Deleting Sub-Categories and Categories Reply with quote

Having let my categories flourish like a hundred flowers blooming, I have now adopted a less anarchic approach and am in the process of deleting sub-categories and categories.

Categories can be useful, particularly for segmenting private from public content, but I think most readers read blogs, not categories of blogs.

This is a very slow process and I will do it if I have to, but I'm wondering if I am missing a simpler approach.

Unfortunately we do not have any means by which you can change categories for articles in bulk. It may be possible that a blogging client like Blogjet, Zoundry, or Qumana can provide you with a faster means to change categories for an article.

You said I will do it if I have to, my question would be Why do you feel you have to? Most of your past content is probably fine wherever it is. It is searchable by the blog and by the search engines. It has a permanent link which will not change. What benefits would there be by "uncategorizing" an article and is the benefit to uncategorizing your articles worth the effort?

What would happen to the relevant posts if I deleted a bunch of sub-categories and categories which are currently in use?

If you remove a category and there are posts in the category which are not assigned to any other categories, the posts will be deleted. The control panel will give you a warning when you attempt to create a category which contains articles that are only assigned to that category. You'll see a message like this:

Quote:
The category 'Example' contains 5 articles
Do you want to proceed?

So you will know if your action will result in deletion of any articles.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: