BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Logfiles again?!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gristgal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Logfiles again?!? Reply with quote

John, it scares me even to think about it, but there was a discrepancy in logfile size for Wednesday (20th).
    date space file size sp page views
    19th spacerr 227k space 653
    20th spacerr 610k space 712
    21st spacerr 200k space 710

Is it possible that something has happened to your scraping fix? Since I save the logfiles, I can go back and reconstruct a table for any period you might wish. But it surely looks as though something has gone wrong.[/list]

Unrelated to the Blogware problem: I wish the software for this forum supported more html commands than font attributes. I could do a table, and have decent spacing without a gawdawful adjust it word-by-word kludge.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Logfiles again?!? Reply with quote

I have examined your log files and your stats and I do not see any problems. You had more access than usual on Wed., which might have been the result of one of our developers testing your blog for more information about the sticky posts bug you reported, but there are no problems with the accuracy of your log files or stats.
gristgal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: I found another html command that won't work here Reply with quote

Remember the double entry accounting (books have to balance) mentality of mine that I explained some time ago? If it makes it easier, think of chemical formulas: If you show burning methane, you can't just say CH4 + O2 = H2O + CO2 - ya gotta add in more oxygen and water molecules to make it balance. So it looks like this when it's right: CH4 + 2(O2) = 2(H2O) + CO2

Because I don't understand how someone could access files without registering a page view, Confused I have to ask: If one of your developers was testing my blog, it would show more activity, but not more page views . Is that correct?

(What's the other code that won't work? You can't use <sub>, even with square brackets. :sigh: It works in other brands of VB forum software.)
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I found another html command that won't work here Reply with quote

Remember the double entry accounting (books have to balance) mentality of mine that I explained some time ago? If it makes it easier, think of chemical formulas: If you show burning methane, you can't just say CH4 + O2 = H2O + CO2 - ya gotta add in more oxygen and water molecules to make it balance. So it looks like this when it's right: CH4 + 2(O2) = 2(H2O) + CO2

I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

Because I don't understand how someone could access files without registering a page view

I did not say explicitly nor mean to infer that anyone was able to "access files without registering a page view." I simply am saying one person reloaded your page a lot on Wednesday, so that's why you have more access than normal that day. That's all there is to it.

Remember when someone loads your web page they are not just loading a single document, each load of your home page (1 page view) results in loading one HTML file, 5 Javascripts, and 1 CSS file. So it is possible that an extra 150 page views results in 1000 extra lines in your log file, especially if the browser was not caching Javascripts (browsers can be configured to fetch every file every time). Those 1000 extra lines on that day could add 350K to your log file size.

Does that make things clearer?

(What's the other code that won't work? You can't use <sub>, even with square brackets. :sigh: It works in other brands of VB forum software.)

This is not "VB forum", this is phpBB and very few HTML codes are allowed on this forum, we suggest you use the BBCode tags if you require stylized text in this forum.
gristgal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have this weekend's changes/upgrades put you guys behind on doing logfiles? My logfile for Saturday still isn't up, and it's almost Monday.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gristgal wrote:
Have this weekend's changes/upgrades put you guys behind on doing logfiles? My logfile for Saturday still isn't up, and it's almost Monday.

Yes, logfile processing is typically delayed when there is an overnight maintenance. We should catch up within the next 24-48 hours.
gristgal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's now considerably more than 24-48 hours. Do you still plan to provide logfiles for Sept. 23rd? The time is getting kinda tight.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these stats were completed a few days ago... When I log into your blog's control panel I do see stats available for September 23, 2006...
gristgal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can tell you is that they weren't there when I looked at it. It was showing the week before. I'm not necessarily doubting your word, but: Why would it show me one thing, and you another? If I'd seen it there, I'd have downloaded it, and never said a word - except thanks. Confused

Surely you don't think I'd post a question that makes me look like a fool without looking at the listing first? I had a tab open with that screen when I posted the question. Confused Sad
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can tell you is that they weren't there when I looked at it.

I don't doubt it for a minute. I suspect that your browser was simply showing you a cached page.
gristgal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a relief, but it shouldn't be that way. I have the browser set to refresh with each session, and that was when I logged on for this evening, first time since yesterday. Confused Mad Confused
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: