BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to prevent permalink showing in Main Page category?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: How to prevent permalink showing in Main Page category? Reply with quote

Hello John,

I am trying to create a subcategory - "com/blog/NEVIN & co." that is completely independent of the Main Page category, but I notice that the permalink for articles and photos in that category still load onto the Main Page category.

So far, I've successfully used the customisations recommended in this thread to create breadcrumbs for both the category and photoalbum templates of the /blog/NEVIN & co. subcategory, so that they load within the independent category (and the breadcrumb says "Home" but doesn't go to the Main Page), but I can't figure out how to PREVENT an article or photo's permanent link from showing up on the Main Page category, apart from making sure that

(1) the article or photo is NOT posted to the Main Page in the Edit/Select Category process
(2) and that the article or photo is posted to ONE (non Main Page) category only.

Is there more customisation to be made to the other independent category's templates - e.g. base, etc - and should components such as Recent Entries be modified as well, since those links are all Permanent Links. Or is it the other way round - should the Main Page category be customised to PREVENT other categories' permalinks from showing there?

(Sorry, can't give you preview here, as the category is Secure).

Much appreciated.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: How to prevent permalink showing in Main Page category? Reply with quote

I am trying to create a subcategory - "com/blog/NEVIN & co." that is completely independent of the Main Page category.

The short answer is this: All categories are subcategories of the Main Page category. It is not possible to create a new category at the same level in the hierarchy as the Main Page category. There can only be one home page on your blog, and that is the top level Main Page category. There are no customizations or workarounds that you can do to change this.

I notice that the permalink for articles and photos in that category still load onto the Main Page category.

Not sure what you mean, perhaps you are misunderstanding what a permanent link is. Each article can have a category-based URL like this:

http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/HowTo/_archives/2004/6/15/87855.html

When accessed via that URL, the page will contain template customizations, Next and Previous links as a member of that category. But since it is possible for a publisher to move an article from one category to another, that category-based URL may not always be valid. Which is where the permanent link comes in:

http://demo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/6/15/87855.html

is the permanent link for the article and will always be valid...

As for breadcrumbs, they are what the name implies: a navigational aid to show your readers how to get "home". The trail of breadcrumbs shows your reader where the current page is within the overall hierarchy of your site, it should not be inferred that your entry was posted to each of the categories in the trail...

Not sure if this will answer all of your questions, but I hope it gives you a little better understanding of the usage of categories...
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: