BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Adding a padding (space, that is)
Goto page 1, 2  Next 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gristgal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Adding a padding (space, that is) Reply with quote

Sometimes I insert Amazon book or product ads into my post. You solved the problem of alignment for me earlier. But I've gotten more ambitious. Smile The text comes out almost on top of the line around the ad. I'd like to pad at least one pixel outside the ad, so that the text doesn't look so crowded (or vice versa). I tried the HTML texts I bought, but none of them gave me what I needed.

Can you help me?

Thanks,
gristgal
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a padding (space, that is) Reply with quote

The code you added to display Amazon content looks like this:
Code:
<iframe src="aReallyLongAmazonURLwasHere" style="width: 120px; height: 240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" align="left"></iframe>

You could add some padding as part of the style like this:
Code:
<iframe src="aReallyLongAmazonURLwasHere" style="width: 120px; height: 240px; padding:10px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" align="left"></iframe>

Or you could control the padding on the top, right, bottom, and left individually by specifying it like this:
Code:
<iframe src="aReallyLongAmazonURLwasHere" style="width: 120px; height: 240px; padding:2px 10px 2px 10px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" align="left"></iframe>

Last edited by john on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
gristgal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I really only want the padding on the right side, to push the text away. So lemme see if I understand how to do that, and nothing else. Would this work?

code:
iframe src="aReallyLongAmazonURLwasHere" style="width: 120px; height: 240px; padding:0px 0px 2px 0px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" align="left"></iframe>
/code

Or can I get away with just padding:right="2px"? (assuming I understand correctly how to say it for one side only). Confused

(It wouldn't quote it for me the way it did for you, and I tried several different things. Even after I stopped trying to box it, it deleted everything between the two iframes until I deleted the leading <) Confused Mad
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned earlier, the pattern is top, right, bottom, left. Clockwise from top... So if you want only padding on the right, do this:
Code:
<iframe src="aReallyLongAmazonURLwasHere" style="width: 120px; height: 240px; padding:0px 2px 0px 0px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" align="left"></iframe>

Or can I get away with just padding:right="2px"? (assuming I understand correctly how to say it for one side only).

Using that style of coding would look like this:
Code:
<iframe src="aReallyLongAmazonURLwasHere" style="width: 120px; height: 240px; padding-right:2px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" align="left"></iframe>

(It wouldn't quote it for me the way it did for you, and I tried several different things. Even after I stopped trying to box it, it deleted everything between the two iframes until I deleted the leading <)

There's a bug in this version of the phpBB software we use on this forum, which manifests itself when trying to use HTML inside quotes. The workaround is to check the Disable HTML in this post checkbox when posting.
gristgal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's a bug in this version of the phpBB software we use on this forum, which manifests itself when trying to use HTML inside quotes. The workaround is to check the Disable HTML in this post checkbox when posting.

:V8 moment:
Now I remember you explaining that before. I think I'll bookmark this thread. Maybe that way I can remember next time (there's almost sure to be one) I have a code question.

As always, thanks, John. It was my desire to keep using Blogware (because of how easily it gives nice results) that made me come here when Fortune City dropped blogs like a hot potato. At that point I never dreamed how much more wonderful it could be with tech support. But it's your outstanding (fast and patient) support that makes this place worth recommending, and you're the "face" of it for us.

gristgal
gristgal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the first form you gave me and it has worked with no problems, but now something's changed and it's not working anymore. Will you please take a look at it: http://gristandgristle.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2007/2/23/2755292.html and tell me how to fix it? And (if possible) whether this is your change or theirs?

Thanks,
gristgal
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you just got your code wrong. Here's your code:

Code:
<iframe src="aReallyLongAmazonURLwasHere" style="width: 120px; height: 240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" padding-right:5px="" align="left" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Compare it with the code above and you'll see the difference.
gristgal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that one, too. You gave it to me two ways. I tried both of them, and neither of them worked. Have you looked at the code garbage that Blogware switched it to?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are turning off the rich text editor, not toggling to source mode, but actually turning it off, before entering this content, aren't you?
gristgal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I never have in the past, and it always worked. Have you made changes that necessitate this?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't made any changes, but I've never had success in adding IFRAME tags to a post when the Rich Text Editor is enabled. Your mileage might have been different, you may have had better success depending on your browser of choice and a browser update might have changed things for you.

The Rich Text Editor itself is an IFRAME constructed using Javascript, so as a general rule you might want to disable the RTE when you want to add IFRAMEs or Javascript to a post. Otherwise things get a little recursive trying to edit IFRAMEs inside IFRAMEs and most browser start losing it at that point. You're better off working with the code directly using the simple editor and not with a Javacript-generated IFRAME trying to read Javascripts and IFRAMEs...
gristgal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I guess I'd better learn how to turn off the RTE then, huh? Not what I wanted to do, but I guess I can adapt.

Thanks, I think. Confused Razz I can't help wondering why it suddenly stopped working. I'm certain I've inserted at least one or two of those since I switched to Firefox, and pretty sure I did it since the last upgrade, a couple of months ago. And now there's a brand new update, just announced last night. :sigh:
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'd better learn how to turn off the RTE then, huh?

Go to Settings & Security > Advanced in the blog control panel, then look for the "Enable rich-text editor" checkbox. Uncheck the box and click the Save Settings button at the bottom of the page to disable the RTE.

I can't help wondering why it suddenly stopped working.

I can't help wondering why it was working for you in the first place... I've don't think I've ever been able to edit IFRAMEs within the Rich Text Editor.
gristgal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got another conundrum for you, then. I since posted another, and with an iFrames link, and the padding worked as smooth as silk, with the RTE still on. No earthly idea why it worked this time. I don't expect I'll take chances from now on, though. It's too frustrating when it doesn't work.
gristgal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It miscarried displaying it to me when I originally posted, so this was a dupe. Apparently there's no way to delete a post. Confused
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: