BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Archived articles not displaying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
des

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Archived articles not displaying Reply with quote

I can't seem to display (as a user) anything from October before Oct 18. Have clicked on the October link in the Archives component in the sidebar several times.

I changed the settings so that there are fewer posts now displayed on the home page. Don't know if that is part of the problem. Can't now recall how i changed the settings or where I found it in the manual - have searched, to no avail.
Author, 7 Step Business Blog
http://www.7stepbusinessblog.com
gristgal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While waiting for John - given that he has probably gone to catch some sleep after finishing the upgrade, and it's already late in the day for you - I can at least let you know where you made the change. Smile I was having problems for quite a while with the display of posts, so I am all too familiar with that module

The setting for how many posts or days are displayed per page on the index page is part of Settings & Security. After opening that page, you select Navigation, which then displays Paging Type options on the right side of the screen. You can check there to see what you did or didn't do.

We all have our preferences along this line. Since I always provide a summary (usually quite short), the display for each post doesn't take up a lot of space on my index page. I have, accordingly, set my blog to display 30 days' posts per page. That is longer than some people prefer. I've noticed that many other Blogware users display only 10.

The one choice that irritates me is those people who don't paginate at all. Their blogs take forever to load, and finding individual posts is a nightmare. But it's their blog, so they can choose to do whatever they like. Razz

gristgal
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While waiting for John - given that he has probably gone to catch some sleep after finishing the upgrade

In my current time zone it was morning and I am still awake... Wink

The setting for how many posts or days are displayed per page on the index page is part of Settings & Security. After opening that page, you select Navigation, which then displays Paging Type options on the right side of the screen. You can check there to see what you did or didn't do.

Gristgal to the rescue again. You need to add some Paging Links to show that there are additional articles:

From a previous thread...

One way to show your readers that there are additional articles is to include a link to additional articles on the top of your category pages. Since you are using By Days as your Paging Type and displaying 15 days worth of articles on your category pages, we have a feature which you can use to automatically add links to the Next 15 Days and Previous 15 Days worth of articles.

You can enable these links from the same Navigation Settings page we described above and look right below the Paging Type options and you will see the Show paging links on default category view checkbox. If you check this box, your categories will all automatically show these Next and Previous links. You can configure the style of your Days Per Page links from the Link Formats dropdown to the left of that checkbox. You can change the links to either read Next or Next 15 days, for example.

That's one way to show your readers that you have additional content; it's a great way to allow your readers to navigate forward and backward through your category pages.

Looks like you've chosen By Articles as your Paging Type and are showing 6 articles per category. Enable paging links to show readers your additional articles.
gristgal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gristgal to the rescue again.

It was little enough. But I'd noticed that after some of these upgrade/maintenance outages, it has been a bit longer before you were able to get back to the forums, John. Since I see that the stats for yesterday are already up (were up earlier), I gather that this session went smoooothly. Very Happy

But I didn't know that this morning, and if it had been me with des's problem, I'd have been freaked out (picture wild woman shrieking and tearing her hair). When something goes wrong with my blog, I go totally spastic. You might have noticed. ... Razz

Besides, I benefitted by trying to help. After I read your response I went back and looked at my choices for how the links are named, and discovered there were more neat choices than I'd even imagined; I'd been using the default. Just another of the elegant trim options in the B/M/W/ C/a/d/i/l/l/a/c/ L/e/x/u/s/ L/i/n/c/o/l/n/ M/e/r/c/e/d/e/s/ Bentley of blogging software. Wink

Have you got your problem fixed, des?

gristgal
des

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gristgal & John

Thank you both for the help. I got totally distracted, esp over the presentation I had on Saturday which went well (some new BlogHarbor users!). See Here's a Quick Way to Set Up a Business Blog
http://www.thinkinghomebusiness.com/blog/_archives/2006/11/4/2472645.html
and thanks John for the trackback!

Suddenly realised I had not fixed the problem. Will now attend to it.

BTW, don't you hate those wordpress blogs which give absolutely no clue as to where you might find any post other than the past 3?
des

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So easy! Thanks again, folks.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: