BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
don't want to have to type 'www' to get to blog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lenoir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: don't want to have to type 'www' to get to blog Reply with quote

I asked this of my domain host: My domain is frxbuzz.com. Users can get there by typing 'www.frxbuzz.com', but not by typing 'frxbuzz.com'. Can you tell me how to set up my account so that they don't have to type the 'www'? Thanks. Jan

Here's what they said:
It appears that you have modified your domain's zone file in an attempt to map it to your site. Unfortunately, we are unable to troubleshoot custom DNS configurations. You may try forwarding your domain instead.

So is this something you can help me with or do I have to go try to figure out domain forwarding? HELP! Thanks...Jan
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: don't want to have to type 'www' to get to blog Reply with quote

Godaddy seems to have some restrictions on the DNS entries you're allowed to add into their system which make it difficult to set a CNAME for the domain name without a www prefix, which is why it seems best to set Domain Forwarding on their system first, then add the DNS records for www.

Alternatively, you could set the A record for frxbuzz.com from its current value to 216.40.34.100 . We usually advise on a CNAME (mapping a hostname to another hostname), that way if we have to move the service to another IP address you don't have to make any changes on your side, but I think you should be OK if you set an A record instead. If you have any problems doing this, just send in a support request with your Godaddy username and password and we'll make the changes for you.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: