BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Turn off trackback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocollier

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Turn off trackback Reply with quote

Is there a way to turn off the feature of people leaving trackbacks? I am getting nothing but spam and I am tired of the email messages alerting me of the trackbacks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn off trackback Reply with quote

First, you can turn off trackbacks on a per-article basis, unfortunately we don't have the ability to turn off trackbacks globally. You can, however, set your Trackback Spam Protection settings to Automatically delete if trackback is detected as spam, moderate all others and forget about them. Your visitors won't see spam trackbacks on your blog which is the only thing you really need to be concerned about.

Second, if you don't want to permit trackbacks, you probably shouldn't be turning them on for all of your new articles (I checked your blog; trackbacks are enabled on all your recent articles). Either turn them off as you post or reset your posting defaults so they are disabled by default on your new posts.

Third, if you do not want to receive notifications that trackbacks are waiting in your queue, you can access the control panel at Settings & Security > Publishing Defaults > General and scroll to the bottom of the page where you will see a row labeled 'Notifications'. Remove your address from that box and click Save Settings, and you will no longer be notified when there are trackbacks waiting for moderation (unfortunately, you won't receive comment notifications either).
Wood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: I second turning off trackbacks! Reply with quote

John,

I'm in the same boat. I get at least 1-3 trackback spams per day and, I too, am pretty tired of getting the persistent emails to moderate. I'm starting to look on trackback as not such a useful or great thing.

Thing is, I have trackback turned off by default in posts and I'm still getting trackbacks. I also have the "Notify publisher when trackbacks are posted" turned off! So, if I'm doing what I'm supposed to do, what's going on? I don't want to turn off comment notification because I actually do get non-spam comments.

Thanks
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I second turning off trackbacks! Reply with quote

I get at least 1-3 trackback spams per day and, I too, am pretty tired of getting the persistent emails to moderate.

You're lucky then, many blogs get orders of magnitude more trackback spams.

I'm starting to look on trackback as not such a useful or great thing.

You are correct, they are not such a useful or great thing for the large majority of bloggers. In your case for example, you have never had a single legitimate trackback in the past so it is unlikely that any trackback you get going forward would be legit. So it is essentially a useless feature for you.

Thing is, I have trackback turned off by default in posts and I'm still getting trackbacks.

Turning it off as default would only change the setting for new posts, not for previous posts.

I also have the "Notify publisher when trackbacks are posted" turned off!

That is a per-article setting, not a global setting. And it refers to when a post receives a trackback, not when your spam moderation queue receives a trackback for your consideration. So again, disabling this for any given article would not affect any trackbacks moderation mails globally for these two reasons.

I don't want to turn off comment notification because I actually do get non-spam comments.

I'll tell you what I do... I just set up a filter in my mail client to filter these notifications to the trash and I never have to even think about it.
Wood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In your case for example, you have never had a single legitimate trackback in the past so it is unlikely that any trackback you get going forward would be legit.

Ow. Truth can be kinda painful Smile

Quote:
Turning it off as default would only change the setting for new posts, not for previous posts

Okay, I get that, but I don't remember turning it off. Is it on by default? Though that does kind of fit the despicable spambot behavior: putting trackbacks on posts that are months and months ago and easier to overlook than something on the front page.

Quote:
I'll tell you what I do... I just set up a filter in my mail client to filter these notifications to the trash and I never have to even think about it.

Yeah, I guess I'll do that. Seems a shame though that there's no way to turn off trackback globally. Thanks again for your help John. I always appreciate it.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: