BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Restricted Access

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whollycow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Restricted Access Reply with quote

I changed a catogory in my blog to restricted access. I think I succeeded in making the catogory access restricted, because even I can no longer view the pages! Is this supposed to happen? I am having trouble figuring out how to give myself and others permission to view the pages. I have been reading the section in the users manual, but do not seem to be having success. ? Can you offer some suggestions please.?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Restricted Access Reply with quote

Please read these pages to learn more about restricted categories:

Of course if you want to view a restricted category, you would have to login to your blog. And of course to be able to login to your blog, you would need to add the Login Form and Logout Button components to your layout.
whollycow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Restricted catogories- must readers visit main page first? Reply with quote

John wrote:
Of course if you want to view a restricted category, you would have to login to your blog. And of course to be able to login to your blog, you would need to add the Login Form and Logout Button components to your layout.

Whollycow:
Does this mean that if I restrict a catogory, the readers must first go to my main page and log in?

I had wanted the restricted catogory to act as a separate blog unto its self, where readers did not have to go to the main page, but could go directly to the restricted catogory. Is there any way to achieve this result?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Restricted catogories- must readers visit main page firs Reply with quote

Quote:
Does this mean that if I restrict a catogory, the readers must first go to my main page and log in?

Well, yes. That's what the restricted in restricted category means. You have restricted it to only certain users. Users prove to the site that they are authorized to see your restricted content by indentifying themselves through a login.

Quote:
I had wanted the restricted catogory to act as a separate blog unto its self, where readers did not have to go to the main page, but could go directly to the restricted catogory. Is there any way to achieve this result?

Well, if anyone could see it, it wouldn't be a restricted category, then. Right? If you want anyone to see the category without having to log in, then just don't make that category a restricted category...
whollycow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Restricted Access -or- a blog within a blog? Reply with quote

I had a long conversation with you a while back on this topic, -creating a blog within a blog, see:

http://forums.blogharbor.com/viewtopic.php?p=3100#3100

I thought I had the issue worked out, but now that I want to make the side blog a resticted catagory, I am back to square one.

Can I create a separate page to act as a parent catagory for the restricted acess blog catogory, and put the log in and log out forms there, instead of on the home page. I notice that the blogs you quoted below act that way. the sign in forms are only visible on the restricted catagory home page.

Can readers of that blog go directly to the page that has the log in form? or do they have to visit the main page first? This is what I am trying to avoid.

See below the examples:

We have a number of bloggers using our service in this manner, giving another author permission to post in a category and creating a different design for that category. The best example would be to check out this blog:

http://cheznadezhda.blogharbor.com/blog

Then check out this category with in that blog:

http://cheznadezhda.blogharbor.cMom/blog/praktikesplace
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Restricted Access -or- a blog within a blog? Reply with quote

Quote:
I had a long conversation with you a while back on this topic, -creating a blog within a blog, see: (URL)

That seems to be a thread with someone else, so please let me know if you meant to reference some other conversation we had.

Quote:
Can readers of that blog go directly to the page that has the log in form? or do they have to visit the main page first?

If you add a login form to your sidebar, it will appear on all pages. Why don't you just try it and you will see. If your blog has a login form in the sidebar, the visitor can enter their username and password from any page on your blog.
whollycow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize i have jumped around a lot here, so let me clarify

I am trying to make a catogory of my main blog function as a completely separate blog, with no connection in content or readership to the main page of my blog. And I want the catogory (blog) to be restricted.

I figured out how to add the log in and log out buttons in such a way that they only show up on the restricted catogory page.(In the Look and Feel / component section) I also figured out how to let readers see the sidebar components of the restricted catogory page, (go to the settings and security section, click "advanced", check a box that says "allow readers to see restricted catogories").

So far so good....

However, I have a new problem. when blog visitors try to create "a reader account" for the restricted catogory (aka separate blog), they come to a page with all the components of my main page, rather than the components of the restricted catogory.

I am afraid this will confuse people. I want prospective readers to always see the side bar components from the restricted catogory blog while they are signing up for a new account. Is there some way to accomplish this?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there some way to accomplish this?

There is not unfortunately.
whollycow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Restricted Access Reply with quote

I would like to figure a way around this. Is it possible for me- as administrator- to set up an acount for someone who already has a reader account?

IF so, I could set things up in such a way that people wishing to see my restricted catogory blog - would first be directed to the Blog Habor home page to set up a reader account and to log in.

Would this work?.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Restricted Access Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it possible for me- as administrator- to set up an acount for someone who already has a reader account?

It is possible for you to give permissions for someone to your blog category if they already have a reader account (think username) and you know the username for that account. If they already have a reader account there would obviously be no need to create a new one.

Quote:
IF so, I could set things up in such a way that people wishing to see my restricted catogory blog - would first be directed to the Blog Habor home page to set up a reader account and to log in. Would this work?.

There is no way for a person to create a reader account from our home page but you can send them to the unbranded Blogware signup page here:

http://www.blogware.com/users?cmd=signup

In the end, this all sounds pretty convoluted and I think you would serve your readership better by creating a new blog altogether.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: