BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Category Tree/Home Page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil arnold

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Category Tree/Home Page Reply with quote

When I click on Look & Feel, Layout opens. If I scroll down to Componaent Layout, 3 components are shown in the left column:

Recent Articles
Category Tree (underline added for emphasis)
Favorite Links

When I view my blog, the left column has:

Recent Articles
Home Page
Favorite Links

Is this the way it should be, or did I set up something wrong when I started the blog?

Soon, I plan to switch to 3-column format, and I would like to move some of the subcomponents from Category Tree/Home Page to the right column. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks, Phil Arnold ElvisBlog.net
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Category Tree/Home Page Reply with quote

When I view my blog, the left column has...

I think you must be misunderstanding something because when I look at your blog, I see the Category Tree there right where it's supposed to be, below your Recent Articles and above your My Favorite Links... I.e., I see the Category Tree as exactly as it is supposed to appear.

Soon, I plan to switch to 3-column format, and I would like to move some of the subcomponents from Category Tree/Home Page to the right column. Is there a way to do this?

The Category Tree component is a list of your top level categories. You can move the Category Tree component to either sidebar, but of course you can not have it show some top level categories on the left on some on the right if that's what you were asking.
phil arnold

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John: Thanks for letting me know I don't have anything wrong with my Category Tree. I was just concerned because it was called Main Page on my blog and in Post Manager, but it was called Category Tree in Look & Feel/Layout. It's all the same, right?

I was afraid your answer to my second question would be what it was. When I switch to 3-column format to accomodate Google AdSense in the right column, I want to add some other content there as well. A Search box and Log-In box are fine, but I wanted to put something interesting in the right column to draw the readers there. One idea was Elvisblog News, which would contain updates on changes and successes of the blog itself, rather than articles about Elvis. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks again. Phil Arnold
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just concerned because it was called Main Page on my blog and in Post Manager, but it was called Category Tree in Look & Feel/Layout. It's all the same, right?

Your blog home page is referred to as the Main Page and is the master Category, the top level in the hierarchy of categories on your site. The Category Tree is the name of a component which can be placed in your sidebar and will display all the categories of your blog, the Main Page being the top level category. I hope this clarifies.

When I switch to 3-column format to accomodate Google AdSense in the right column, I want to add some other content there as well.

You can add anything you want to either sidebar in a 3 column format. Anything you can do with a 2 column format you can do with a 3 column format.
phil arnold

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, John.

You said: "You can add anything you want to either sidebar in a 3 column format," but you previously said,"You can move the Category Tree component to either sidebar, but of course you can not have it show some top level categories on the left on some on the right."

Sorry, but I am confused. Can you direct me to any How-To section that will tell me how to add to a new component in the right column that I can add occassional new posts to? Thanks, Phil Arnold
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we are talking way past each other here, so let's summarize...

Can you do anything with 3 cols that you can do with 2? Yes.

Can you "split the Category Tree" and place 1/2 on one sidebar and half on the other sidebar? No. If I am misunderstanding your question, let me know.

Can you add a Recent Posts component? Yes, one exists already for you to add to your sidebar.

Can you add a custom component? Yes, please learn how.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: