BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hotlinking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil arnold

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Hotlinking Reply with quote

John: As you suggested, I accessed "Prohibiting Linking to Content on Your Blog," and I went to the "Advanced Settings" page as instructed. When I asked you about any unexpected consequences if I unclicked "Allow Sourcing of Files," you said "Search engines will not index your images."

Well, a lot of the pictures I post with my blog articles are now on Google Images. If readers click on the Gogle thumbnail, a page opens up with a link to my URL. I get a lot of hits from that, and I think I get some new regular readers from it, too.

So, if I unclick "Allow Sourcing," does that mean no more photos will go to Google Images? Will the ones that are already there stay and provide hits to my blog?

Or, does "Search engines will not index your images" mean something else entirely? I'm not clear what "indexing" means.

Thanks for your help.

Phil Arnold
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hotlinking Reply with quote

So, if I unclick "Allow Sourcing," does that mean no more photos will go to Google Images?

Yes, it does mean that.

Will the ones that are already there stay and provide hits to my blog?

They will eventually disappear from the Google index.

I'm not clear what "indexing" means.

A card catalog at a library is often referred to as the index to the library. When a new book arrives at the library, it is indexed. It is put into the card catalog so that someone can find the book.

Search engines index the web. They create a catalog of web pages. So when a page is indexed, it is reviewed by software and placed into the catalog so it can be searched.
phil arnold

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John: Thanks again for another helpful answer. Still, there are more questions. Previously you have said, "In my humble opinion, it is not a problem (that search engines will not index your images)"

But, then I read your last answer above, "Search engines index the web. They create a catelog of web pages. So, when a page is indexed, it is retreived by software and placed into the catelog so it can be searched." Now, that sounds like a good thing to me. Right? If I unclick "Allow Sourcing of Files," does that stop this indexing of my web pages and the putting of them into the search engine catelog?

Is there any distinction between the indexing of images you mentioned in the first paragraph above and the indexing of web pages mentioned in the second?

Thanks. Phil Arnold
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I unclick "Allow Sourcing of Files," does that stop this indexing of my web pages and the putting of them into the search engine catelog?

No, it does not stop the indexing of your web pages. Please re-read Prohibiting linking to content on your blog: only specific file types are protected from sourcing.

Is there any distinction between the indexing of images you mentioned in the first paragraph above and the indexing of web pages mentioned in the second?

As per my answer above, yes there is a distinction.
phil arnold

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John: Thanks for the prompt response.

As suggested, I did re-read "Prohibiting linking to content on your blog." .jpg was at the top of the list of file types which can be protected, and all the photos I add to my blog articles are .jpg.

So, if I understand it right, by unclicking "Allow sourcing of files," Google will be unable to index my images, but they will still be able to index the text on my web pages.

If this is correct, then I understand how it works for search engines. But how about other websites? If a site is hotlinking posts from my site (complete articles - text and pictures), what is prohibited to them by unclicking "Allow sourcing of files"? Just photos?

Thanks, Phil Arnold
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if I understand it right, by unclicking "Allow sourcing of files," Google will be unable to index my images, but they will still be able to index the text on my web pages.

Yes, that is correct.

If a site is hotlinking posts from my site (complete articles...

There is really no such thing as "hotlinking posts". It's not really possible to hotlink a post; hotlinking is pretty much all about images. Please don't confuse someone copying and pasting your post as hotlinking. It is not. And of course no one can prevent anyone from manually copying and pasting.

...what is prohibited to them by unclicking "Allow sourcing of files"? Just photos?

Again, the same answer I gave before: disallowing sourcing of files prohibits the hotlinking of the file types listed at Prohibiting linking to content on your blog.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: