BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Adsense dont display in column when using IE6/7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoffand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Adsense dont display in column when using IE6/7 Reply with quote

Its been a while since I last worked on my blog www.engagingchina.com but I now notice that the Adsense component in the left column does not display correctly in Windows IE6 or IE7, although it still fetches the ads. It is offset to the left whereas it should be centred in the left-hand column like the "Recent Articles" component above it, and if I resize the browser window, the Adsense box disappears completely. Needless to say the component displays consistently and correctly in Firefox.

I stopped updating the site a year or so ago, but I dont recall having this problem back then. Has Blogharbor or Google changed its javascript implementation or something similiar to cause the Adsense box to now not format properly?
Thanks in advance for your help
Geoff

Last edited by geoffand on Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Adsense dont display in column when using IE6/7 Reply with quote

We have not changed the code for any of the themes, so they only thing I can say is that nothing we did would have caused this issue...
geoffand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Problem fixed Reply with quote

The vanishing Adsense box was a manifestation of the well-known IE peekaboo bug. By trial and error, I managed to find a fix.
Thanks anyway
geoffand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke too soon. If you maximise or resize the IE6/7 window by clicking the boxes at the top right of the browser window, the Google Adsense box doesnt change position whereas it should. However, if you resize the window manually by dragging it -- which is what I usually do -- the Adsense box does now shift to the correct position.
Its an improvement on the situation that existed previously but hardly perfect.
Any suggestions as to how to zap this particular bug once and for all?
geoffand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: IE Resize problem fixed Reply with quote

For the benefit of others stumped by the IE6 resize bug, the solution is in two parts. The easy part is to set the doctype to "strict" which causes IE7 to behave probably. For IE6, for which this is a known bug, the trick is to add

Code:
position: relative;

to one or more of the containers that hold the element that won't stay in the correct position. Blogware templates uses several containers nestled one inside the other to hold content in place, so it may not be obvious which one is the villain.
Needless to say Firefox doesnt suffer from the bug.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: IE Resize problem fixed Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Beginner's Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: