BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Glad to see you started a forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Glad to see you started a forum Reply with quote

Greetings, folks. I am pretty active over at the Typepad User Group, where I have my main weblog. I am currently evaluating Blogharbor, and so far I am very impressed. I will probably post links to some of my articles here so folks can follow some of my experience with this new weblogging tool.

Best regards,
Jamie
JamieJamison

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess who forgot to log in after registering? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Glad to see you started a forum Reply with quote

Jamie - Thanks for being the brave soul to first post to this forum. You will go down in history. Wink

We'll look forward to reading your articles, let us know when you post them. I know sometimes people ask us to compare our service to Typepad, I think it will be valuable to all of us to read a comparison from an experienced Typepad user such as yourself.

Last edited by john on Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
JamieJamison

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first post is up:

http://jamiejamison.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2004/3/22/28621.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the honest assessment of our service, Jamie. We are working on improving our product every day, and hope that we can improve in the areas you mentioned.

One small correction: your BlogHarbor weblog can have up to 3 hostnames. One hostname acts as primary and will be the address appearing in the address bar of your web browser, and the blog will also respond to the other 2 hostnames but redirect to the primary URL.

This capability allows you to start with a BlogHarbor name like example.blogharbor.com when you sign up for your weblog, then add your own domain name like www.example.com later on. We would then set the www.example.com hostname as the primary address, and your original example.blogharbor.com address as the secondary address so that all of your friends and readers will still be able to find your weblog even if they access the original address of your weblog and not the new one.
JamieJamison

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

The domain feature I was comparing has to do with how Typepad treats blogs. They actually set up separate weblogs on the same account. A similar capability exists within Blogware/Blogharbor, as you and I discussed in my support email, but they aren't actually separate blogs - they are what Blogware calls categories or topics.

In order to have the same domain capabilities for Blogharbor as Typepad, you would need the ability to map a domain name directly to a category index page , i.e. I could have www.jamiejamison.com pointing to my main index page, but I might have www.phillytechgeek.com pointing to a category index page that doesn't specifically refer to my main weblog. With a service like that, a single user can have multiple "sites" on one account with separate looks and feels and no actual indication to the visitor that they are using the same account.

I hope that clears up what I mean.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie, I did understand what you meant in the article, I just wanted to clarify this statement:

JamieJamison wrote:
With Blogharbor, a user can have only one domain mapped to the main section of the site - all other subsections have to be accessed via the relative path, and additional domain names would require a separate charged account.

to point out the fact that you can have more than one domain name (technically hostname) mapped to the site. But you are correct, at this time you can't map a hostname to a part of the site...
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: