BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Main Page Getting HUGE...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abacquer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Main Page Getting HUGE... Reply with quote

My blog is fairly active. I usually post once or twice a day. As a result, here it is April 15, and my main page includes article excerpts going all the way back to March 16, the day I started blogging. My main page is 103,850 bytes now. Shocked Yikes!

When do article excerpts start dropping off my main page? Is there a way for me to change this interval to be something like 15 days? Or 8 days? I checked settings but I didn't see anything obvious. Confused I'm pretty sure it can be done because I noticed one blogharbor blog this morning seemed to have it set to 5 days.

Also, is there a plan to add "Week Archive" as a standard component like "Month Archive" and "Year Archive"? Such a component would be very useful for busy blogs or blogs that are newsy.
abacquer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: figured it out Reply with quote

Okay, I figured out how to change the number of days of articles displayed on my blog, but I'm still interested in having a "week archive" much like we already have for months and years. Any chance that will be added to blogharbor anytime soon?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: figured it out Reply with quote

For those who are wondering how Abacquer fixed his problem, your blog can be configured to display articles on the Main Page (or any category page) By days or By articles. To get at this setting, login to your blog Admin Control Panel and click on the Settings tab, then the Navigation subtab. On the right side of the page, you will see the Paging type options.

By default, your blog is configured to display using the By days option. This means that your Main Page will display a maximum number of days' worth of articles per page. You can configure how many days worth of articles will be displayed. By default this number is set to 30.

An alternative is to set your blog to display your category page using the By articles option. Using this option, you specify a maximum number of articles per page and use the "Articles per page" menu to select how many articles you want to appear on a page.

Under either method, posts that are older than the number of days or past the number of articles do not disappear: they are accessible through the Calendar, Archive Months, or Archive Years components in addition to being searchable through the built-in Search engine.

You can also choose to add an additional navigation aid, which can be enabled by checking the box labeled Show paging links on default category view from the same page. This will allow your category pages to display links to the next 30 days worth of articles, or the next 30 articles. You can configure the text of the link from the same page on the control panel, in the Link Formats section. This is where you can configure some little details, such as will the link say Next 7 Days or just Next.

Last edited by john on Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: figured it out Reply with quote

abacquer wrote:
I'm still interested in having a "week archive" much like we already have for months and years. Any chance that will be added to blogharbor anytime soon?

Any thoughts on what it would look like and what kinds of options you would like to see with it?
abacquer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: figured it out Reply with quote

john wrote:
abacquer wrote:
I'm still interested in having a "week archive" much like we already have for months and years. Any chance that will be added to blogharbor anytime soon?

Any thoughts on what it would look like and what kinds of options you would like to see with it?

Sure! I suppose it would be headered with the words "Weekly Archive" and each line would be the dates of the weeks (as in 4/4/2004 - 4/10/2004) in reverse chronological order (most recent week first).

Options?

(1) Number of weeks displayed would be a good one (fixed number N, to beginning of month, to beginning of previous month, to beginning of year, all weeks) etc.

(2) Perhaps the format of the line could be configurable as in:
by date range: "4/4/2004 - 4/10/2004" (this is what I see on most blogs that have weekly archives)
by start date: "starting 4/4/2004"
by end date: "ending 4/10/2004"

(3) Perhaps the date format itself could be configurable:
standard: 4/10/2004
short: APR-10

(4) And you might want to make the 'first-day-of-the-week' be configurable too. (Apparently in some parts of the world Sunday is not the first DOW, Monday is.)

But all these latter options are really not crucial, only the first one is probably necessary.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: figured it out Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed feedback, we'll file this as a feature request.
qureus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: can we add extra pages? Reply with quote

Hi John,

I like the idea of limiting the size of my main page. I'm wondering though, if there's a way to limit it -- and at the bottom give folks the open to go to the page 2, 3, ... so that they can still easily get to, say, a month worth of posts without having to go to the archive?

I thought I saw this somewhere but, if so, can't remember where.

Thanks!
Q
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: can we add extra pages? Reply with quote

We explained how to use the Paging Type options to you in this post.

You would check the Show paging links on default category view box to show Next and Previous links, whether you choose the By days or By articles option.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: