BlogHarbor Home Page
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  UsergroupsRSS   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
precise visual customization of your blog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
red

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: precise visual customization of your blog Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been trying to customize the look of my blog to match my website EXACTLY by utilising the "custom CSS" option in the control panel under "look and feel". Having read the articles on how to change fonts and background colours and other basic amendments, I have managed to implement these changes succesfully.

Now I'm moving on and want to change more subtle aspects of my blog and I find myself unsure which items on the example CSS provided, correspond to the various elements of my blog, having limited html experience.

Up until now, I've been amending one parameter at a time, refreshing my blog, and if the correct change hasn't occured, I have to go back in, put the CSS back to how it was and then "guess again". If there were only a few different items to amend, this trial and error method would work fine but I find myself swamped with so many parameters that it's taking me forever to track down the ones I want to change.

Is there already (or could you make?!?!?!) a graphical layout of a typical blog with arrows pointing to relevant sections, noting their designated CSS name?

This would be unbelievably helpful when trying to make subtle changes to specific areas of any blog.

There's little point in me giving you a specific example of what I want to change because I wish to change a lot of items, not just one or two and I can track individual ones down... after 15 mins or so. Just wondered if the whole process could be sped up by a kind of visual map, referencing the names of CSS components.

...Hope I explained that ok.

Am so impressed by the flexibilty and speedy response to queries so far... Keep up the good work. I will definitely recommend blogharbour to my friends!!!

Thanks for any help in advance.

Red.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: precise visual customization of your blog Reply with quote

Is there already (or could you make?!?!?!) a graphical layout of a typical blog with arrows pointing to relevant sections, noting their designated CSS name?

That's an interesting suggestion... We have not created a visual map based on the output, which is the web page itself, but there is a map for you already: the HTML source code of the blog. That tells you everything you need to know...

For example, if you look at the HTML source code for your weblog and find the area for the Search component, you would see this:

Code:
<div class="component">
<div class="componentHead">Search</div>
<div class="componentContent">
<div class="componentSearch">
<form method="get" action="/blog">
<input name="cmd" value="search" type="hidden">
<table class="componentSearch" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

<tbody><tr>
<td nowrap="nowrap"><input name="keywords" value="" size="20" type="text"></td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td nowrap="nowrap">

<div style="margin-top: 2px;">
<input class="buttonWhite" value="Go" type="submit"></div></td>
</tr>

</tbody></table>
</form>
</div> <!-- componentSearch -->
</div> <!-- componentContent -->
</div> <!-- component -->

Looks like a lot of stuff, but just look for the class and style attributes that have names. Those names correspond to names in your style template and are the attributes you would want to modify.

So in this case, you would alter buttonWhite to modify how the Submit buttons look...

If you have any specific questions about which classes you should modify, please post here and we'll be glad to help you out.

And just FYI, we do have a service which will we releasing more information about shortly, which is designed for businesses with this problem: you want to create a blog which matches the look of an existing web site in order to integrate the blog into your online presence. It may be more economical in the long term as well as faster for you to hire us to do your template modifications. Contact us if you are interested in learning more.
red

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Nice quick reply - cheers.

Red.
Search all BlogHarbor support resources.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BlogHarbor Community Forum Index -> Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: